Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy new to the big block scene I’ve been recently working on I’ve recently bought a new battery which drains quick when trying to crank motor over I’ve got block at top dead centre on compression stroke then fitted distributor in got it aiming to the back of the block same with number 1 coil and turn base till circuit test light goes out could anyone point me in the right direction please as struggling had it running last night bud was only for a few moments checked points and condenser have ordered a new starter solenoid and leads as leads were smoking firing order is correct counter clockwise help a fellow petrol head out what I’d do to get this beaut running also what size battery do they need as I was told a 60 amp 660cca but I’ll happily hear what everyone is running getting fuel and spark been told maybe carb playing up not ran in 10 months

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah fresh gas tried some down through top and tank was empty when arrived so all fresh in tank to fitted an electric fuel pump

·
Registered
63 convertable
901 Posts
um .... turning distributer clockwise till light comes on? this is where points open causing spark from coil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
um .... turning distributer clockwise till light comes on? this is where points open causing spark from coil
I thought you had to turn clockwise till light goes off I’ve got it firing at right time we’ll I think it is coil no.1 facing back of the block test light to check circuit got the light on turn clockwise till just flicks off then tighten down with plate then struggles to start would it be worth taking carb off to see if needs cleaning maybe restricting fuel getting in ?

·
Registered
63 convertable
901 Posts
you have it backwards. when the light comes on is where the spark happens. your way is setting timingway off

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I don't even know what this light thing is you guys are talking about! Obviously I never had one of those doodads. Just set up so on top dead center, rotor aimed at #1 plug and tried starting. If sat a long time used a small gas can of fresh gas with hose to fuel pump and not from gas tank. Make sure when you do get it going to check oil and make sure it's not full of gas. I'll move on to the other question, battery. I use Interstate in my '64 with 390 and I get the highest CCA they have cause it's a battery killer and always has been in the 40+ yrs I've had it. The size the books call for last me no time. I decided to try interstate and that first battery was a 6 or 7 yr with 900 cca and it lasted me 10 yrs about, it didn't die, i actually gave it to a friend. It had a bad cell and I wanted one of the green top batteries. Sadly the larger CCA batteries didn't come in green darn it! They didn't have the one i really wanted so got the MTP-24 with 800CCA, that was 4 yrs ago, still going strong. Before I started using Interstates the batteries would only last me a year or two. I never get the CCA the books call for though.

As for the carb, wouldn't take much to get a new carb kit and put it in as it could probably use it anyway. But if it ran once it should again and maybe longer next time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts