Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 4 motors in an old barn in a house we bought. 1 comes up on manifold a 428 cobra jet and the intake numbers also come up the same. How do we find the numbers to check the actual motor so we can advertise for sale

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fords FE series were tough to identify, for me anyways. Casting numbers were the same on all size FE engines and I don't believe they were ever stamped with any kind of serial number. You can tell a lot from the stroke though. If you can turn the engine over then it's possible to figure the stroke out. I would pull all the spark plugs to make it easier to turn. Using a piece of wire a foot or more longer, put into a spark plug hole trying to get as straight as possible onto the piston. This is a little tough because the spark plug is off to the side, but you can get it straight enough to get a reading. Now slowly turn the engine, (for this part you should have a helper) while holding the wire and monitor it's movement up or down until it stops moving and now stop turning the engine. Mark your wire at that spot using the edge of the spark plug hole. Now start turning the engine again while holding the wire until it stops again. Mark the wire using the same point you used before, i.e. the spark plug hole edge. Remove the wire and measure between your two marks. That will give you the stroke or at least close to the stroke. Then you can identify it from that. The 428 had a stroke of 3.98' stroke while the 390 stroke is 3.78. It's a close measurement between the two, but with help I believe it's doable. I have done it on other styles of engine, but not these.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If that is a CJ it should have a VIN stamped on it. All engines after I think it was January 1 1968 were to be stamped by federal code. Though replacement engines were not and some time the factory missed one. This should be stamped on the L/H side on the back of the block just below the head, some time it was on the head and when rebuilt it may have been swapped to the R/H side and would be at the front. Also starting mid year 1968 the 428 Police Interceptor would have the same intake manifolds as a CJ but would not use the C8OE-N CJ heads, but would rather have the C8AE-H heads. The PI also used what is called Log exhaust manifolds that have 8 bolts 4 top and 4 bottom of each post. CJ heads have 16 holes exhaust manifold bolts.(though they only use 8 each. If you have a CJ or not it is still a cool find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts