Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
If a hobo was a master mechanic but had a shop under a bridge made of cardboard would you go there for advice?
Interesting analogy, a lot of the great mechanics I worked for, carpenters I have hired etc drove bombs and lived in crap houses. Some of the very best restraunts in New Orleans, and here looked like dilapidated dumps. I learned to get past the looks to get to some quality service. I would rather have an expert in a ragged shop, than some bull s^%er in a slick looking facility. That old adage.

But no, a hobo sight unseen - probably not. But thats not the case here, we know what this sight is or was about, and my point is and has always been - it is us the members, contributors, people who write the tech articles who make this forum what it is or will continue to make it what it alwasy has been - a great forum with a bunch of dudes and gals, loving the hobby and helping each other out. You can change the color to make it look like a carboard shack but they cant change us, so who cares? On top of that, this doesnt look bad, I dont see what all the hu bub is about, just my opinion and I still like this place so make it pink and purple, so far I am just fine with it.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
I too fail to see the problems that several ave complained about recently.

THE site is bright and ugly, but all the button's are there that I used before (changed teh name of "today's posts" but still everything I can think of. and I don't have ANY ad's popping up on my screen except when I accidentally move my mouse over one, and it literally takes less than 1 second of my precious life to click the "X Close" button. So, I don't see any issues other than the colors that's been mentioned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well first off im new at this anyway i just brought a motor that has been bored 30 over and just wondering where to start.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Looks pretty much like crap to me. Basically looks like all the formatting was stripped out of the vBulletin setups.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
I just noticed that the Today's posts tabs have been molded into that TEENY WEENIE LITTLE ARROW.... Took me a whole 20 seconds to find it this morning.
That better be the last of the changes because it's the one I like LEAST OF ALL! Dammit I Hate having to search for the link I use most. Really pisses me off :(...

Bunch of somebody or other's and something and such like that!!! :D

Really though. all the missing language hidden behind the super small white arrows in a thick black line is not a very good look nor is it user friendly like it was before the change.

Don't like this part of the change! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

·
Site Admin
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The darker skin choice you all requested is in place now. You will find it at the bottom left of the forum. There is a drop down that will allow you to pick between the skins.

·
Subscriber
626 Posts
Stanglo is a moron...

Is that you holding that Harrington & Richards 20 ga. back in the late 50's Old Gator?
Yes, that was me before the mustache...Around '53 or so...
( in keeping with the DanH theme:Harrington and Richardson )
That was my Grandmother's "big gun"..She had a matching .410...
And that flywheel was off a SuperStock 410ci Merc Comet,so 410/428 was the correct answer..See the holes drilled all about it ?It was a super
little car out of Georgia, but NHRA had it placed with too many other big Blocks for the weight..As I remember it couldn't come close to the index
and the owner went to a 427 Low riser. I got the 410 motor and trans
for helping him get a NASCAR crank from Bud Moore's people..Circa. 1972

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
The darker skin choice you all requested is in place now. You will find it at the bottom left of the forum. There is a drop down that will allow you to pick between the skins.
didnt the old setup use the gray color(like here now in a 'reply to thread' box) or a light blue? I cant even remember, but the forum posts are still hi intensity white on mine...dont recall ever having such a hard time reading(have to darken the monitor- my eyes are really getting bad this past couple years...)

anyone have a screengrab of ANY old FM pages?

the darker border helps, but the page still seems kinda glaring to me...what a whiner huh :)

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Looks pretty much like crap to me. Basically looks like all the formatting was stripped out of the vBulletin setups.
Whats a Vbulletin set up?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's the format/layout of the website VS the format/layout of the older site... it just lost it's professionalism look.

I'm not saying I will stop coming here or stop supporting FordMuscleForums.com.. it's just I feel the website has taken a drastic step backwards from the layout the old website had.

For instance when you go to "Making Progress" you used to be able to see a picture of the persons car before even going to their Topic.

My biggest complaint is the layout of this forum VS the older layout. I strongly feel that we've lost the professional appeal of the website.
Well said.

I have been sort of quietly keeping my trap shut and rehash things others brought up...don't like to stir things up, but I really DO NOT care for the format now.
I know it's a petty thing, but one of the fun things about the Makin' Progress thread, was the ability to see everyone's ride. It feels a lot less personable. I'm a car guy. Sometimes, it's visual.
Much like a blonde and a red head walking down the street in a tank top and skirt...some times I'll look at the blonde, or I am going to stare at grandma's 1977 LTD rolling on the street.

Right now, I sort of feel like I am staring at the ass end of a street sweeper.
:lame:

·
Site Admin
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well said.

I have been sort of quietly keeping my trap shut and rehash things others brought up...don't like to stir things up, but I really DO NOT care for the format now.
I know it's a petty thing, but one of the fun things about the Makin' Progress thread, was the ability to see everyone's ride. It feels a lot less personable. I'm a car guy. Sometimes, it's visual.
Much like a blonde and a red head walking down the street in a tank top and skirt...some times I'll look at the blonde, or I am going to stare at grandma's 1977 LTD rolling on the street.

Right now, I sort of feel like I am staring at the ass end of a street sweeper.
:lame:

Okay I am getting what you guys are saying!

Its hard when all I get is things like "I Don't Like Change" and "This Sucks" telling me what is missing from what you had is what helps me get the right people to fix the problem. You are welcome to your criticisms but report them as what has been changed that needs to be fixed so I can get on it. Screencaps, links, lengthy descriptions all help. :)

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Right now, I can say the high contrast is bugging my eyes. This will limit my time that I can spend reading.

Beyond that, the sizing of the site to my window makes it hard to tell which row goes with which on my wide screen. I find myself sizing my window down and thats not an issue.

As far as navigation goes, the jury's still out. Like FE said, all the buttons seem to be there.

·
Site Admin
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Have you tried both skins? If its still way too bright I can mention it to creative. Calibrated monitors are usually pretty dark and most of the creative department works on calibrated monitors. One of the guys has a secondary one at his desk that is about the cheapest one you can get mostly just to get an idea of an average that can be met between the two. I can ask him to look at both and get his opinion on the contrast.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts

Its hard when all I get is things like "I Don't Like Change" and "This Sucks" telling me what is missing from what you had is what helps me get the right people to fix the problem. You are welcome to your criticisms but report them as what has been changed that needs to be fixed so I can get on it. Screencaps, links, lengthy descriptions all help. :)
Seems like a 'Captain Obvious' answer, but... You could have just LEFT IT ALONE... and polled for what people would like to see changed... instead of resetting the complete site right off the bat.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts

Thanks, direct and specific feedback always is workable, at least you can give an specific answer if not solution.
So, how about the Tech Articles - submissions, new ones, whats the plan and policy for those?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts