Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard would it be swap a 6speed auto from a new GT into my galaxie and get it to mate up to my 533ci engine (385 series)?? Is there a tranny controller or anything available for it?? how much do those bad boys run for $$$??? just throwing some ideas out there....

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
They have a different bellhousing bolt pattern which is the modular pattern. It won't work with a 385. Both the manual and auto have integrated bellhousings.

·
Registered
841 Posts
getting it to fit is only a matter of an adapter plate and fabbing a mount and getting the right output for it. Controlling it is a completely different issue. A proper 385 would most likely grenade that trans anyway.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
getting it to fit is only a matter of an adapter plate and fabbing a mount and getting the right output for it. Controlling it is a completely different issue. A proper 385 would most likely grenade that trans anyway.
LOL yeah i guess your right. I just wanna see what trannys are out there that are actually very efficient that can work. The C6 transmission is such a power thief its rediculous. Coupled with the 9inch rearend it has got to be the least efficient car drivetrain ever!!!! (at least from what i hear).

The auto GT's seem to be dynoing within 15rwhp of the manual dudes and trapping the same or higher.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The most modern "bolt on" trans you'll find is an E4OD. After that, everything is going to need a controller. I certainly wouldn't mind a 5 or 6 speed auto, but controlling it is the hard part.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The most modern "bolt on" trans you'll find is an E4OD. After that, everything is going to need a controller. I certainly wouldn't mind a 5 or 6 speed auto, but controlling it is the hard part.
yeah but i hear those arent very efficient either. I hear controllers can get expensive also....

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as being efficient, I think these new 6speed Transmissions are very efficient. A lot of new autos Transmissions now days are rated better than
Manual Transmissions for fuel economy. I love this new Tec. It's only a matter of time, before it gets cheaper to run a 6 speed auto on a older engine. Just sharing some thoughts on this subject. The idea of have a 6 speed auto, and increasing 1/4 mile times, and HWY cruising speed, and gas
Mileage seems amazing.

John

·
Registered
647 Posts
OR, just stick a Gear Vendor over/underdrive behind your C-4/C-6 & you have a 6 speed automatic!
If you have a well built 3 speed trans. the cost of a GV unit, approx.-$ 22-2600, makes sense too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts