Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 ford mustang cobra 2 I was planning on building the car for drag. I was wondering if I would I be better off building out the original for 302 or building a ford 351 windsor? And where should I go for parts? I was planning on making the engine a 550 to 600 horse engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok what style kit would you suggest to get the most horsepower and tourque

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
125 Posts
You will need to do research about fitting 351 in car. You can open up more cans of worms than its worth.
Lots of aftermarket support for both engines. Decide - N/A or nitrous or ?
Street and strip car or stictly strip, etc.

Use Google and site search

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking on having straight v8 power mabe down the line get nitrous. I want the car to be for strip and street use

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
125 Posts
If you already have 302 in car, a good rebuild stroker kit, intake, heads, cam and headers, beef up trans and rearend with right gears.
Probably wouldnt get you the 550 or 600 hp
But even 350-400 hp in that car would put a large smile on your face.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have both blocks the 302 is boared .30 over and the 351 is .60 over. I have the stock heads and intake for the 302 and the 351 is the block pistons and crank shaft. My biggest dream is to make us a 9 second car in a quarter mile.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
125 Posts
Go for 351 then, should be same mounts, same bellhousing. Might run into height problems or exhaust problems etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I know the car has a good scoop on it so that should not be a issue rait now the engine bay us a clean peice of paper and I can design it to fit. What kit would you suggest for the 351

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
125 Posts
Google it, site search, too much to choose from.
Maybe Talk with local engine builder see what they say, pros, cons

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I was eather looking at a edelbrock preformer rpm kit or possibly a supercharger

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
125 Posts
You said earlier N/A, and nitrous down the road, now you say supercharger.
Slow down, take time to READ and RESEARCH.
A lot of info out there and guys dont mind helping, but you have to have a plan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I don't really trust myself with nitrous yet. I have just afew ideas but I want to see what people think and would suggest.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ok I was eather looking at a edelbrock preformer rpm kit or possibly a supercharger
I wouldn't get the SC. Heard to much trouble and their tech sucks. Edelbrock manifolds are some of the best. But heads and cams, there is much better for the same price out there. Edelbrock is to generic when it comes to cams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok what do you think would work best on the 351w? I know alot of people go with the motha thumpa cam for street and drag but what heads would work on it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ok what do you think would work best on the 351w? I know alot of people go with the motha thumpa cam for street and drag but what heads would work on it.
393 or 408 stroker 351W. Beefed up C-4, ( I know lots of people like sticks, but for drag racing, hard to beat an auto), 9" with 4.30 or 4.56 gears.
World Products Heads #023005, Edelbrock Pref RPM airgap #7581, keep your comp around 11-1 with the piston/head combo, Howard's cam #221052-08 and Howard parts to go with it. 750 Holley style Demon carb, 1 3/4" pri, into 3" collector headers. Maybe later a 50-100 Nos shot.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wisconsin
I.m a cheesehead myself. Been so since Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi
I'd find a good machine shop, or talk to the racers up there and they'll tell you the best. There is a Book, "The Step by Step Guide to Engine Blueprinting". Good info for building one. When you talk to machinists like they to know if you know, what you're talking about and want done. Such as decking the block or squaring it. Using main cap studs or bolts for align honing. Even new heads have to be gone over and checked, CCed, surfaced, spring heights checked, etc, balancing and having everything to do it with. Even if you bought a crate engine, I'd tear it apart and check everything.
I live an hour from Summit in Nevada, and the machinist I used here, he's about 1 year older then me so we're both "old school". But I would use a C-4. You get the right build up, and you won't be sorry. You never miss a shift, unlike 4 in a row. I used both by the way. The biggest problem with 4 spds is the clutch setup. Autos is getting the right convertor. Stick, all the info needed to get the right convertor takes a little work.Not hard, just info required.
Must II is a good platform. Just a little heavy due to all the luxury stuff in it. Hatch back is heavy back there but weight in the rear is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts