Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im getting bored waiting for my stang to be done and driveable. So i took the 02 Ranger out to the track. It ran [email protected] 75.74. Sad...yes i know. I'm just looking for something to keep me out of trouble til i get my car all back together. Does anyone know of some mods out there to make this truck faster? What can i do? Not looking to spend too much on it since its kinda my work truck. Its got the 2.3L 4 banger...5speed with no a/c. Thanks for any ideas...Ryan

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, I've got a 94 Ranger, 2x4, 2.3l I4, You'd think its boring, but the gearing is fun!! I've gotten to 127.5 MPH <In 5th at 4500 RPMS>, no, NOT falling out of a plane. Probably the best thing I did to speed it up was got a tach, because it didnt have one, and now I know when to shift. <i shift at 6k>. Look at Mustang 2.3 mods. And just drive the crap out of it, I beat the hell out of mine, and it ALWAYS starts up in the morning- AKA- Built Ford Tough!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mines got the governor so i cant go over 90. How can i get rid of that? I have a tach too on it. Thanks for the advice...ryan

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, look at the turbos out of T-birds and stuff like that, I've heard the reason why these trucks are so slow is bad heads, guess Ford still hasnt learned! What year is your truck?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2002. I dont think its a problem so much with power. its supposeably got 135hp. and there is no a/c on it. I was expecting low 17's. Weird. I think i can get into the high 17's if the track wasnt so slippery. It was Grudge Race night and everyone was there. I launched at 2500 just to keep the wheelspin down. at first i launched at 4 and spun them into second. My best run would of probably high 17's but i missed 3rd shifting. I want to take it out more...but i want to do some quick mods just so its not so embarrasing. Any more ideas? I dont want to void the warranty or lose some of the reliability. Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
316 Posts
On 2002-05-06 01:32, ryans67 wrote:
Any more ideas? I dont want to void the warranty or lose some of the reliability. Thanks Ryan
What about simple modifications, like a shorter belt to bypass some of the accessories? Or a K&N air filter? Shorter tires to make it like you have lower gears? These modifications can be undone in a matter of minutes and won't hurt the car. Plus they are relatively cheap.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
567 Posts
With such small engines, air filters dont really matter, since they dont have too high air flow, and if you dont want to void warranty theres not really much you can do except.. DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Ford trucks dont die, look at mine, 94 w/ 176,000 miles, and I shift at 6k all the time. Besides, your 2002 beats the hell out of mine, I've got a whopping 98 [email protected] RPMs!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
First thing you can do is a bowtie trick, locate IAT sensor and add a little resistance. This will fool the ECU into thinging the air is cooler and it will richen your fuel mixture. Rangers seem to respond to traction bars real well, invest in a set. Accell and MSD (just recently) both have coilpacks for Ford I4 buy two and an MSD DIS module. Combine them with new wires and copper plugs and your set. Now we have increased fuel and fire, but not the air. Forget the K&N filter, unless you want to wash your filter instead of replacing it, but check out this thread on rps: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25900

After that your running out of the free/cheap mod area and need to consider the poweradder or cam/intake/head mods that get your REAL power.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why not give it a little shot of the giggle gas? 50hp might be safe. If traction is limited as you claim, why not try some drag radials or slicks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts