Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Are there any vendors...etc... that sell the dip stick for this xmission? I can not find one anywhere! The 63 futura convert is all original with 51K miles. The dip stick is in question is also original. I'm not sure it is bottoming out at the correction depth. The upper part of the stick has a "cap" that twists on. There is a small washer below the "cap" that is sortta crimped in place. There is alot of slack between the cap and the washer. QUESTIONS...When do you know the stick is in the proper position to check the level? Also was there originally a felt seal in the cap? As of now I'm making the stick bottoms out when I insert it. Please advise. I dont want to overfill or underfill.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Trans fluid level is not that critical.
Slightly over (a pint or so) won't hurt it.
Low is obviously not good, but it can tolerate "slightly" low level. Say half a pint.

Ya, ya, the manufacturers put dire warnings on the stick "Do Not Overfill".
That's to keep dumb-asses from dumping in a whole bunch of oil (like several quarts) more than it needs.
I've seen guys add way too much oil cuz the trans has a problem, and they think the "extra" oil will fix it.

Pics of the dipstick would help, I'm having trouble visualizing your description.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts