Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With just under 3000km on a fresh 347 my son's car developed a noticable and embarrasing 'tick'. With a stetoscope we determined it to be coming from #7 cylinder. #8 cylinder was a tad noisier than the other rockers. We are using Scorpion rockers and upon examining them i can see no wear issues, no loose trunnions , in short -nothing. We've tried the preload with 1/2 turn and then 3/4 turn but the noise keeps coming back. The tick isn't consistent . comes and goes but doesn't stay quiet for long.
I did notice that initially when we fired this engine up all rockers emitted a very soft tick and I wrote it off to possibly the ramp on the comp cam xe274.
Anyone have any problems with Ford Racing lifters. We are tearing it apart
now but i'm suspecting a collapsed lifter.
We're replacing them with Comp Cams lifters. Engine runs great and initially ran a 12.80 @ 112 with the car spinning in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Any ideas??
thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Don't be too quick to condemn the lifters. I had a 351C years ago with the factory Boss 351 valve covers that had the screw in oil drippers. I also had a phantom tick. Turned out that the drippers vibrated enough that occasionally one or two would nick the rocker. Removed the drippers and all was quiet.

Also had a nailhead Buick that had lifter bores that had opened up a few thou causing the lifters to lose pressure.

Depending on your cam you might also look at the valve springs to see if they're binding at all.

Lastly, if you do change lifters you might condsider the Howards Cams lifters. They have this small oil hole in the face of the lifter that allows a film of oil between the cam and lifter. You can run springs with higher pressure without killing your cam. Around $120 for a set.

Murff

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Before changing the lifters make sure the rocker trunion is positioned properly so the poly lock is seating on the flat machined part of the trunion and not the unmachined round side. It is possible to install them rotated 180 degrees out which will cause erratic adjustment and ticking.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no interference problems inside the valve covers. Trunnions are all on the flat side..no problem there. Keep in mind this engine just developed this tick after 3000kms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a set of Ford Racing hydraulic lifters go bad within a year of use, 4 out of the 8 lifters' had their retainer clip that hold the plunger, etc. in place pop out. That created all sort of racket.

Since then, every cam swap I have done I have used Comp lifters instead, and never had a problem since.

I used abundant amounts of break-in cam lube on the cam and lifter swap that the FRPP lifters were used in, and I adjusted the rockers to spec.

I have been burned on nearly every FRPP product I've ever purchased in one way or another. If you want to hear my many rants on FRPP products, let me know, otherwise I'll simply say that IMHO, the FRPP rockers are junk.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see, I have used some ford stuff with no problems. Not really much FRPP though. We have checked and re-checked everything and this is the last possible thing it could be. i have a set of comp cams lifters being over-nighted...hopefully they get here soon

Thanks for everyones help and advice. i will post as to the results.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with hydraulic roller cam/lifter setups in the Cleveland? Available? Modifications involved? Adequate Oiling?

Thanks for any advice...

Bob

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The first question that should be asked on a noisy hyraulic lifter setup is-

DID ANYONE CHECK FOR CORRECT VALVETRAIN GEOMETRY?

As for lifter oil supply in a CLV? No problem as it supplies oil to the lifter galleys first. It's the crank oil supply you need to worry about.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The newer cams do have more of a metallic sound due to the aggressiveness of the cam. I have the XE284H and it has a slight metallic ticking sound too. I have done preload with 1/2 and then 3/4 as well. There's no damage going on, just some noise. It may be nothing to worry about, unless you have something else going on inside your engine. I am using Comp Cams lifters that were included with my cam, so I think you may find the same noise happening. What is your idle set at?? Mine is at 1200rpms, yours should be around 900-1000rpms for the XE274 cam, I would think.
I spoke with Joe Sherman since he did a similar 347/XE284H buildup and he said this..... It is true that the newer cam profiiles will make some more noise but it is nothing to be concerned about. It has nothing to do with the cam core, but the faster valve motion does give it a more metallic sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts