Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part number FMS-M-6049-SCJA
Will these heads make up to 750hp on a 520 bb/ford will change springs to suit a solid roller cam with upgraded carb,intake and with a cast 4.300 crank and a bore size of 4.390 and Flat top piston and want to keep revs below 7000rpm cheers

·
Registered
991 Posts
ya those heads will get it done

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Greg
Have been trying to find out some info on the SCJB's but most just have the basic stuff didn't know they had roller spring .Is your motor the same as the one in the artical. Ill be loking for more compression and maybe a bigger cam as mine will be race only

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Very similar . I used 6.8 rods and a much lighter custom JE piston reverse dome. 10:1 compression to run on pump fuel and a custom built in U.S 1050 HP series dominator..It is real tuff .Will be dynoing it in the next week or so.

·
Registered
125 Posts
gregaust

how many miles you have on that solid roller? I've been flip flopping on that XR292R or a solid flat tappet to use in my 521. Some of the 'solid roller lifter on the street' stories I've heard scare me.

thanks

Bill

·
Registered
125 Posts
BTW after a little bowl porting my scj heads went 371 CFM at .500. The exhaust ports start backing up @.500 too. The p51 heads developed by Kaase are suppose to improve on the SCJ design and remedy this but thus far they are non existent. Kaase used to have an article on his web site where he swapped out an old set of cj heads for the new scj heads on a Ford crate 514/521 and changed the cam to something that had [email protected] and made 781+/-. Don't see it now though

Bill

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Kaase and Ford have had a little disagreement over the old and new SCJ heads. So, there may be more than one reason the article is no longer posted.

The point is the improvments found in the Kaase designed heads, both the earlier versions, the latest (and probably the p51, whenever they hit the market)...have been found to produce improvements - in street driven engines - in every version. The SCJ is not a contender when it comes to the fully-prepped, all out "Mac Daddy" A441 or A460, but for bracket or Ultra performance street-able engines there aren't any that can honestly say they can run away and hide from the Kaase heads. And yes, when the heads flow better, its a good thing to change the cam to take advantage of the improved breathing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 11/9/06 6:14am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
On 2006-11-08 14:51, bonfire wrote:
gregaust

how many miles you have on that solid roller? I've been flip flopping on that XR292R or a solid flat tappet to use in my 521. Some of the 'solid roller lifter on the street' stories I've heard scare me.

thanks

Bill
Not a lot yet only about 200 miles.. Yes the stories are a worry . You always see the bad stories.Where's the good ones? A friend of mine has run rollers in his clevo for years and checks valve clearance once a year .It is turned 8000+ and never had an issueSame rollers have been on a couple cams now. Biggest thing i think is to keep valve clearance good to stop from hammering the rollers .

I like the cam it is nice on the street too.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have run solids in my 557's for years. Stories is all they are. The guys that break stuff are the ones who scream loudest and rarely admit fault

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated. Be sure to keep us updated on any issues
On 2006-11-09 10:13, gregaust wrote:
ot a lot yet only about 200 miles.. Yes the stories are a worry . You always see the bad stories.Where's the good ones? A friend of mine has run rollers in his clevo for years and checks valve clearance once a year .It is turned 8000+ and never had an issueSame rollers have been on a couple cams now. Biggest thing i think is to keep valve clearance good to stop from hammering the rollers .

I like the cam it is nice on the street too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 514 that I run in a mud rail with 6.8 Eagle rods,JE flat top part #150727 pistons,Comp cam part #34-711-9 with .726 lift split duration of 288 Intake 296 Exhaust and Dove-C heads with 2.20 / 1.76 valves. Will the FMS-6049SCJA heads work with this combo or will I have to change pistons?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts