Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says lol.. I have a 64 Galaxie with D3 429 and C6 tranny in it. Engine is late 72 early 73, out of a Thunderbird I think, and is for sure a 429. However, I have no clue what radiator is in it. I'm having issues with engine temp on hot days and in heavy traffic. I installed a high flow 160 degree thermo and flushed the coolant. Put in new coolant with water wetter. This helped ALOT. Used to have a 180 thermo, and the temp would hit 200 easily, which the car did not like. The 160 gave it a decent buffer zone, it seems. But the temp will still climb to 180 and above if I'm stopped for a while. I want to keep it a cold as possible as the car seems to run alot better when at 160-175.

I have a 5 blade, 20" flex fan and no shroud. Radiator is about 24" wide and 20" tall, 3 cores. Car has no AC. Basically, I'm going to buy a different fan, and a shroud. I'm sure a fan with more aggressive blades and actually having a shroud will alleviate the issue. But I need to know what year, and car my radiator is from so I can start hunting for a fan shroud for it. Where did Ford put the ID numbers on radiators? And how do i decipher them?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts