Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Win a FM T-Shirt! Contest details at the end of this story.

Bloomberg appears to have started a rumor, or broke a story, today that Ford is planning to decommission the Mercury nameplate. Ford CEO Alan Mulally is not confirming the reports, in fact he seems to indicate otherwise in an interview today, "We have no change in our position about Lincoln or Ford or Mercury."

Mercury was the brainchild of Edsel Ford in 1939. It soon thereafter became part of the Edsel-Lincoln-Mercury division. Arguably it's best days were in the late 60's through the 70's, with sales peaking in 1978. Since then the brand has struggled, both for sales and for identity. Many critics have said the brand is too similar to Ford and there isn't enough in terms of features, or models, to distinguish it from Ford or Lincoln.

If Ford does decide to eliminate Mercury, FordMuscle may have "called it". In a 2006 Time Magazine Q&A session with then Ford CEO Bill Ford Jr., FM editor Chirag Asaravala asked Bill Ford about this very notion:

Have you considered eliminating the Lincoln and Mercury brands and establishing "Ford" vehicles as the definitive marquee and product? I believe in today's automotive world, where most drivers can easily recite the core products offered by BMW, Toyota and Nissan, Ford simply has too many brands and vehicles, making it hard for the consumer to understand the product line. Mercury and Lincoln are often positioned as better optioned or more luxurious products, giving the impression that the vehicles bearing the company's own name are third tier products. I believe Ford should establish focus on a line-up of core vehicles worldwide. As a Ford performance enthusiast, why should I not have the ability to purchase the types of Ford cars in Australia, for example? While it is hard to see Ford going through tough times, I am confident we have yet to see Ford's best days.
Chirag Asaravala
FordMuscle.com

BILL FORD JR.: Thanks for your vote of confidence. Our research suggests that Ford, Lincoln and Mercury work together very effectively and offer something a bit different to our customers. As an example, take a look at our recently introduced new line of mid-size sedans: the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr. All are roughly the same size, but they offer different experiences for different tastes. And they are picking up speed in the marketplace.
Mercury has had its moments, its created some iconic pre-50s hot rods, followed by the very distinct Cougars, Montegos and Cylcones of the '60s.
However, since that era, very little has moved us. The 2003-2004 Maurauder was a nice attempt to revive some muscle into otherwise boring sedans. We liked the attempt to bring back the Cougar nameplate, but the two door sports car never gained much traction amongst sports car enthusiasts, and had no similarity with its former rendition.

Ford will be better off emulating a nameplate and marquee duo between Ford and Lincoln, much like Toyota does with Lexus, Honda to Acura and Nissan to Infinity. Consumers have no trouble understand which is the more expensive, feature-rich, version and many are willing to pay for that distinction. Mercury had become a third wheel and it became confusing to most what differences, besides badging, existed between the Milan, Fusion and Zephyr.

In summary, we suspect the story is true, and as the 2011 model year winds down, Mercury will be undetectable much like the constellation disappears from the night sky after November.

Contest:
First person to reply to this thread with the name of the movie in which the Mercury below appeared wins a FordMuscle logo tee!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
There used to be a reason for having multiple brands. GM was probably the best example, where a person started out and bought a Chevy, then moved up to a Pontiac, then a Buick, then a Cadillac. Unfortunately, in an effort to save money, the brands ended up being the same exact cars with only slightly different trim. In all honesty, Mercury hasn't had a decent looking car since the '86 Capri. The '67-'68 Cougar was probably their crowning achievement.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Dusk Till Dawn

The ex was into that Vampire crap . . . . .

Looks like we have a winner.... dennis, you probably have a closet full of FM shirts. New rule for future contests - no TEX silver or gold wrenches can play ;)

·
Banned
864 Posts
I hate to see Mercury go but it has been long coming.
Ford has done little for decades to boost the label.
Mercury simply became the Bells And Whistles version of the Ford.
A few body trim changes, nicer interior and call it a Merc.
The days of the Cougar and Montego when the label vehicles were unique have been gone since the 70's.
Sad to see it go but not unexpected.
Surprised it held on as long as it has.
It will be missed.

Rich Sr.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Do that mean the Mercurys will go up in value if Ford does indeed kill the production??

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Why doesn't Ford use Mercury as their "green" line up of vehicles? Electric, hybrid and alt. fuel etc. Just think of it, a SN197 platform Cougar with a turbo diesel clean technology, 36 mpg. My neighbors mom would want one, she's a cougar...Nevermind.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Watched an old movie today, the original "The Fly".

A few minutes into the movie, the head police investigator pulls up in a 57 Mercury.

This one's really going to hurt.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
IMO killing Mercury is a mistake, they need to seperate the product line further and use it to hit a series of nitches and specilty cars.... Bring back a real couger, a real cyclone....... Use the name to run the police line and specilty stuff...... Keep the ford name as the bread and butter and the lincoln line as luxury.....

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
IMO killing Mercury is a mistake, they need to seperate the product line further and use it to hit a series of nitches and specilty cars.... Bring back a real couger, a real cyclone....... Use the name to run the police line and specilty stuff...... Keep the ford name as the bread and butter and the lincoln line as luxury.....
Great idea! Make some performance vehicles that don't look like their Ford platform counterparts. Price them so they are not a direct competitor to similar Ford models and do not skimp on the options or packages. I could imagine a Cougar, and maybe a Mercury sports car (but it would probably not sell). Maybe sell around 4-5 distinct models. Ford has a few really good platforms along with Mazada platforms to base their Mercury vehicles. What about that something like that interceptor vehicle concept they had a few years ago keeping along the lines of the police line?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Owned Mercurys and have even ordered several from the factory. Ford never did like Mercury beating them in Racing in the 60s and early 70s. Mercury is a better built Ford with more luxury to them. Then I guess this makes my 68 Cougar, worth more?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
We have a winner! Good idea.

JMO,

paulie

·
Registered
22 Posts
I always thought that they should bring back a real cougar. I would of bought that over a mustang. It would be something different. I liked the cougar concept of a couple years ago. Just saying would have been nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts