Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help on front suspension my buddy put some big rims and tires in the front od the torino and the camber is off quit a bit and cant get it by ajusting the camber bolts need help to find out if there is a shorter table for this car or offset balljoints that we can buy to get the camber to its right position thanks richard.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Not sure but I seem to remember shims behind upper A arm to shock tower bolts. Don't know if thats recommended or not and haven't had the car since 1975'

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Positive camber? It cannot be shimmed out enough?

You will have to modify the upper control arm attachment (allow more adjust-ability) or actually move the upper arm mount.

Is this the OEM spindle being used? Wheel bearings adjusted correctly and the rotor hub is fully seated on the spindle?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a feeling we are talking about trying to "donk" a Torino. I will do my best to hold my personal thoughts on doing this to a vehicle & stick with what you need to do to make it work. You do not state wheel/tire size. What is your definition of big? Why did you end up with a camber problem? Somebody did something to the suspension to cause this. You can put as big a tire as you want & you will not affect any alignment angle. You are only moving the center point of the axle in relation to the ground. Spring modification?

You can not lift or lower a vehicle very much at all via springs. It requires a suspension relocation if you are going far. If you are going through the effort to relocate the suspension you might as well install a more modern suspension while in there. You could take something like a Crown Vic crossmember ('03-'11) and space it downward (this will raise the vehicle). Do not space it far or you will alter the mounting point strength unless you do major frame modification to spread out the stress.

The CV is a bolt in crossmember with rack & pinion steering & 12" rotors. If memory serves me correct the Torino is a unibody design so you are looking at some serious mods here. All this to have a vehicle that is severely crippled in handling along with turning radius. When finished with all the mods required to accomplish this will render the Torino practically worthless. I know if I were shopping for a Torino I would pass on it in favor of an unmolested base.

If you are totally committed to building a Donk I would recommend selling the Torino & buying a GM. They make parts off the shelf for them to do this with. I am assuming you do know what you are doing when it comes to a suspension alignment & have maxed out your available adjustment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Positive camber? It cannot be shimmed out enough?

You will have to modify the upper control arm attachment (allow more adjust-ability) or actually move the upper arm mount.

Is this the OEM spindle being used? Wheel bearings adjusted correctly and the rotor hub is fully seated on the spindle?
all oem parts but they put a big tire and wide rim and put a 1 inch spacer to bring the rim outwards so wont touch the shock tower would haft to bring in the bottom table but its all the way already the top table has the shock boltted to it so i cant bring it out to much because of the shock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts