Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion about the quality of Eagle and Scat forged steel cranks? Are they comparable? Price seems about the same.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chilly.

I'm just starting my research and waiting on the FM boys to do the 331. Lots of different kits available and I can't afford trial and error.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Scat makes great stuff.I had a CAST steel Scat crank that stood up to some really harsh abuse and was bullet proof in my eyes!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My machinist has not seen too much Eagle stuff but his only complaint is to check sizes carefully because the finish sizes vary. He had to grind a new crank .002 just to get it to standard.
Once in an engine with clearances set there is very few complaints.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my machinist said that he's seen eagle forged cranks that look like they polished them at the factory and these journals were concave/rounded slightly and had to be turned.even though, i still went with a je,forged eagle h beam 5.4 and forged 3.25 crank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had both and it seems the Eagle 351W stuff is sometimes weird. The SBC and regular 302-347 stuff was fine too but the 351 Windsor stuff was ground too big on the mains and had to be reground. Besides that they seem to be fine.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Think I'll be going with the SCAT stuff.

Now just need to make up my mind on the usual question. 331 or 347. Think I'll wait and see how the FM article progresses and what kind of performance it has upon completion.

I'm just building a good street motor that can hold it's own at the local track and last me a 100k or so. Want this to be my last motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts