Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a major leak coming from the topside of the trans and when I got started on pulling the trans out I had noticed my output shaft was sliding in and out about 3/8"-1/2" FALCONAROUND told me this meant a clip was not put on and I would have to tear it open to fix it.

Well I got it out and this is what I found
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/65whiteFastback/tail_shaft_close.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/65whiteFastback/tail_shaft.jpg

I have never took a trans apart before even though I am mechanically Inclined. I need a way to have this car ready for the track by friday.

Any help greatly Appreciated I only have one friday left to take the son racing before he goes back to live with his mother.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65whiteFastback on 8/20/06 11:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It should not go out at all. You are MISSING the Tail shaft Snap Ring which is behind the reverse and 1st clutch pack.... Didassemble the tranny.... Put the snap ring back in place....

FE

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well....you found your leak anyway!! Atleast its in the tail housing so its an easy replacement. Is the governer still intact on the other side?
Your original problem could be related?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Nice tailshaft vent. The govenor must have come in contact with the tailshaft which caused the crack. Check out all the places the output shaft has spline engagement for stripped or damaged splines caused by the shaft moving towards the back due to the missing snap ring.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need a Manual be able to go thru this thing but other than ebay I don't know where to get one. Borders books doesn't carry one.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Someone here had a copy of the manual online somewhere a while ago,maybe put a post up and see if you get response.Failing that i could scan and email bits factory manual if you like.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the offer Greg. I did a search and read about someone posting a manual online but could never find a link. I did find a 1977 edition of "Peterson's Big Book of Auto Repair" that has 72 captioned pictures to overhaul a C4.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have some pictures!

PM me your e-mail address. It's fairly straight foreward.

Gary

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Use the little BLUE PM button.... and refresh often... Or do what I do and use the latest posts link at the top.....

FE

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BY the way. If you have the tranny on a bench you can be to the clip in as little as 3 minutes....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts