Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched past postings with no success in looking for the type of switch used for the four way flasher in my 65. The wiring diagram is no help as it only shows a switch with four connections. One to the tail lights, one for each of the front lights and one that goes to the flasher unit. Is this a standard DPST switch? Does anybody have one that they can take continuity measurements and post for those of us that don't want to pay big bucks for a $1.50 switch?

·
Registered
698 Posts
All of your connections you need are under the hood. The brake sensor is actually fluid preasure sensor on the Master Cylender.. There it is basically grounding a wire when a level of preasure reaches a certain limit. Should be right next to the master where the brake line comes out, should be one wire connected. Since it is pulling the source ground from the body of the car. The one wire is the output..

And your front are readily accessible. You have both power/ground going to each of the front ambers..

Since the brakes are operated by a ground. This causes you to need to drive voltage to the fronts. SOooo you will need a relay.

Ohter parts
Switch. Whatever fits yoru fancy.. You could even use your cig lighter as a switch if you wanted to. Just it would no longer be a lighter just a switch.

a simple flasher (two prong)
dependent on how fancy you want to go on the installation on the type of conenctors, tape, etc..

Basically.. The switch has two leads (in and out). One side you will connect to a constant power source. The other side you will connect one lead of the flasher. The other side of the flasher you will connect to the relay. Now to make the relay work you need both Ground and Voltage. So you need to find a ground. Nothing major so any body metal (maybe the mount screw for the relay itself). Unfortunatley you will need a 2nd relay as the problem is the fronts are driven by voltage and the rear is triggered by ground. So we have to provide them what we want.. So with the first relay we can sorta daisy chan the 2nd.. So basically so far connect the 2nd relay the same as the first.

The center parts of ther relays will be a bit different I will break it down into two parts (tail and front) based on the destinatioon

The tail relay will need a ground. Since you are providing the trigger on the side of the relay you can daisy that ground to the bottom most pin of that relay. Now run the top lead of the relay to the fluid sensor that triggers the brake lights. Its a ground so if you tap that wire into the wire on the master cylinder your done.

The front, you will need to daisy the powered switch wire that you ran from your switch to daisy it over to the bottom of the relay. Now run two wires off the top lead of the relay and run 1 to each of the front turn sigs. Do a meter check to determine which is the right wire of the turn light when you engage turn signals (power on). Then connect to that wire.

That should do it.

Parts List
Simple Switch (2 lead)
2 Relays (typical Bosch relay)
Flasher
and depending on how pretty you want, connectors, tape, heat shrink etc etc..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Um... I'm sure your intentions were good ones. But you seem to have missed the point. And with no disrespect, after reading your post three times, I first thought you may have ingested something that might have affected your rational and logical thought processes. I am no novice when it comes to relay logic or wiring for that matter. (I worked in a telephone company central office for many years.) I was not looking for help in designing some sort of makeshift flasher circuit. I have the wiring diagrams for my '65. (which has the brake switch on the pedal and not the master cylinder) I was asking if anybody had this switch and if so, could they take continuity readings to let me know if it is a DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) toggle switch or if Ford had a special switch made with their own custom design.
Here is the wiring I am following. I have seen the switch kit offered on eBay, but as I stated in my first post, Why pay big $ for a $1.50 switch. I'm a little curious as to what it looks like under your dash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Hey bluebird,

Your Brake light switch for the 65 is above the pedal is a simple on off switch, open at rest and ON at the pedal push.

In any instance I can think of this switch is OPEN at rest. Thus there is no continuity to speak of and the Hazards do not have anything in common with this switch with the exception that it should be a glove box mounted flip on flip off switch and that the brake lights should over power the flasher when applied, even with the hazards on.

Is that the info you wanted?

Now as for your 4 way flashers as asked in your original post, Here is the switch, and from the design you can tell there is very little complication to it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FE thank you for the input. I went back and re-read my response to OKURA and saw where I was not clear as to which switch I was asking about. The 4 way is the one I have questions about. I know there are four connections on the back and was wondering which ones make contact to each other when the switch is flipped. If the switch is a double pole type then it is equivelent to two single on off switches side by side. As you can see on the diagram the blue wire from the flasher would connect the green to the tail lights and complete the circuit activating the flasher. The other two wires that connect to the front bulbs would then be connected to each other and ... do nothing because you are just connecting the positive sides of the front lights together. Unless there is a different configuration inside the 4 way switch that connects all them all at the same time. Or it might be through the contacts on the turn signal switch. That is why I was aksing for the continuity test on some ones 4 way switch. Otherwise I know how to accomplish the same thing with diodes. I would just rather try to keep it looking like it was factory.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well. I laughed at your response. As I am sure my response was fuzzy at best when you try to read it. Yes I guess I didnt answer your question at all. But I tried to give you a solution. Sorry.

The parts needed to do this would be cheap. And I wasnt trying to insult anyone. I just didnt have a way to draw out with my IPAD my thought process so I did my best to describe. I am guessing two relays, a flasher and 1 switch and some wire is all the big parts you will need. Maybe $10 Why buy a kit or a circuit board when you can do it yourself.

I guess 65's are different than my 63'. Since my brake pedal have no switches on them and the master cylinder has the pressure sensor which does that.

My underdash really is not been modified much. I ran some speaker wires over to the kick panels for the aftermarket panels I put in. And my LED tail light mod 90% of the wiring was under the hood. just put the sequencer under the rear seat but goign to relocate it to the panel near the back tail light. BTW I did Car Stereo and Secuirty installation for about 5 years prior to being an IT Manager in the USAF (22 years). So enough of the insults please. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The 4 way is the one I have questions about. I know there are four connections on the back and was wondering which ones make contact to each other when the switch is flipped. If the switch is a double pole type then it is equivelent to two single on off switches side by side. As you can see on the diagram the blue wire from the flasher would connect the green to the tail lights and complete the circuit activating the flasher. The other two wires that connect to the front bulbs would then be connected to each other and ... do nothing because you are just connecting the positive sides of the front lights together. Unless there is a different configuration inside the 4 way switch that connects all them all at the same time..
I will see if I can find my switch today and check for ya. But pretty sure it is single pole type ?? connects all of them at the same time.
I think when you flip the switch it connects the blue from 4way flasher to the other 3 wires that go to your T/S switch.

The Org/yellow wire comes from fuse box to flasher. Blue wire from flasher goes to switch. When you flip switch it feeds the other 3 wires which go thru T/S switch is how I would think it works.

But I will look for mine and check today

Lou

Well doesn't look like my car came with 4 way flashers.
But here is what I would do (and will be doing since mine doesn't have it)
Get a 3 pole switch, Jump the 3 pole feeds and run blue wire to all 3 feeds. then run the 3 wires going to T/S switch individually off the 3 poles coming out of switch. This way nothing will backfeed since the 3 wires going to T/S switch will only be connected when 4 way flasher switch is on.

I would think this would work.

Lou

·
Registered
99 Posts
There are two versions of the 4 way flashers for the 65 and 66 cars. Both plug into the turn signal switch wiring below the steering column. the 65 one was universal kit that mounts under the dash on small bracket and goes right next to the emergency brake handle. There is also the setup that contains the switch above. It has longer wiring and usually mounted in the glove box area. have both setups if you need pictures..

The 66 setup is regularly on ebay .

Dw

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
...My underdash really is not been modified much. I ran some speaker wires over to the kick panels for the aftermarket panels I put in. And my LED tail light mod 90% of the wiring was under the hood. just put the sequencer under the rear seat but goign to relocate it to the panel near the back tail light. BTW I did Car Stereo and Secuirty installation for about 5 years prior to being an IT Manager in the USAF (22 years). So enough of the insults please. Just trying to help.

I apologize if I sounded insulting. That was not my intention. I have also been guilty of going off in the wrong direction whilst responding to some ones post. As I said to FE, I went back and re-read my response to you and realized I was not clear about which switch I had the questions about. I hope there are no hard feelings. By the way, I followed one of your posts about the LED tail lights and was in awe at the outcome. I was thinking of doing something similar to mine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K. If anybody is interested the switch is NOT a DPST. As I expected when I wired in the switch following the factory diagram, the wires that connect to the front lamps will not make the front lamps flash. They only connect the positive sides together. In order to get power to the front I had to put a diode between the wire to the rear lamps and one of the wires for the front lamps. To make it easier to install I also bought the same style connecting plugs and made my own plug and play harness. Now I hope I never have an opportunity to need the emergency flashers, but I've got them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts