Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever tried putting headers made for a 302/fox body in an early Mustang? Just curious, I'm picking up a set, and am wondering if they'll work easily, or if it's going to take some...modification *evil grin*.

Seriously though, if anyone's ever tried, please chime in and let me know how it went, and what to expect!

Thanks!

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, not factory headers...Accufab 1 3/4 primary into 1 7/8 stepped with a 3" collector, made for a 302 with Victor Jr head.

Basically it goes something like this. I picked up a 289 motor the other day, which was intended to be the base for a 347. I was told the bore was standard, and within tolerances...so I got to thinking that I could build the 289 now with some of the 347 parts...heads, cam, etc...that way I'd be able to drive the car while saving for the 347. Then it just so happened that I may have stumbled onto rods and pistons for a stroker kit for a reasonable price...meaning I'm probably back to building the stroker now lol.

Anyhow, the point of this is the guy with the rods and pistons also has the headers for a great price. Larger stepped tube headers were in the original recipe for the 347, and custom ones (almost the only kind available for a 66 Mustang) are sick expensive. Soooo...that got me wondering just what I'd have to do in order to use the Fox body headers.

Basically the only deterrants will be if they won't fit inside the frame rails...if they exit far too high and dump into the firewall/floor pan...or of the drop down far too low, and would end up bottoming on everything, or simply won't clear the ground lol. Steering box is going away, I'm installing a rack. Starter could be an issue, but a mini starter is on the list anyhow. Car's going to be a manual trans, but I'm intending to use a clutch cable anyhow...so THAT clearance shouldn't be an issue. That leaves just basic fitment. Also, I'm going with a custom coilover front suspension, so taking a torch to the shock towers IS an option...if they're not fully removed by then.

Once again any info would be great!

Cris

·
Registered
538 Posts
My friend and I just installed a set of Flw Tech long tubes ($109.00),and they fit great,no mods to anything (except lowering the steering dampner with a little bracket),and easy.There's a thought for you.It's worth it to avoid the hassle of trying to make the crappy factory Fox headers fit.I sold my factory shorties for $10.00 (about the going price for them) and got a set of BBKs.The Flow Techs are good headers,and the car came alive.By the way,we installed them on a '68 coupe with a 302 and C-4 tranny.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Flowtech's were for a fox body car? If so that's awesome, and means my Accufabs 'should' at least come close to fitting right =).

Hello stepped tube headers!

Cris

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Ask George Klass the owner of Accufab. He's usually found on Hardcore50.com.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part number I'm told is BT170. He also said he called Accufab again to verify that they do NOT require a subplate in order to bolt to Victor Jr (or Victor Jr style)heads.

Cris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts