Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Fox vs Sn95 5.0 donor

16K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cobra_Jet 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have been researching a lot on which mustang motor I want to get as a donor for my 1951 Ford f1. I have decided on an efi 5.0 with MAF, and been leaning heavily to the 89-93 models. My goal has been to find a wrecked car to pull the motor and trans from (1- cheaper, 2- I can't kill a mustang just to have parts for my truck!). In my searches I have found many 94-95 for much cheaper which brings my question. Is there any reason to stay away from the 94-95 5.0? I know they have many parts that are not interchangeable with the 89-93, I know they're hypereutectic from 93-95. I know there's a different ecu. But is any of it poor quality or something to stay away from? I plan to make it a weekend cruiser that's got enough under the hood to get folks attention. All of my previous searches compare the interiors or suspensions of the two models. I'm just interested in motor and trans. Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Great build!

As far as 86-93 vs 94/95 5.0, yes there are differences:

1) The 1994/95 distributor is unique to the 94/95 - not compatible with 86-93 or vice versa. The TFI module is separate from the distributor and is mounted to its own heat sink.

2) TFI’s are not compatible between the years either.

3) 94/95’s have an entirely different timing cover and water pump than the 86-93’s. The crank pulley, water pump pulleys etc were all different as well - so 94/95 front timing cover must have the 94/95 specific components and same would be true with an 86-93.

4) If going with a Cobra 94/95 5.0, be aware the mass air sensor will need to be swapped out for one that IS calibrated for 24lb injectors. The 94/95 Cobras came w/ 24lb injectors, however, the mass air flow sensor was cal'd for 19lbs - because the factory computer made the approriate adjustments to compensate for the 24lb injectors to work properly w/ the 19lb sensor.

5) Stock 86-93 5.0 upper and lower intakes were matched - just as 94/95 where matched. Can’t put an 86-93 upper intake on a 94/95 lower - UNLESS you’re doing a complete upper/lower aftermarket OR swapping the complete stock set over from A to B.

Now with the above out of the way - the 86-95 5.0 short block can be used in any application, with any upper/lower intake combo, with any head combo, any exhaust combo and with any ECM combo.

If you’re wanting a good stock 5.0 to start with, here’s a recommendation:

A) Seek a 1994/95 compete SVT Cobra engine. It already comes with the factory “GT40” upper/lower intake, 24lb injectors, the cast iron GT40 heads and the heads came within Crane 1.7 roller rockers.

B) Change out the 94/95 front timing cover and go with the 86-93 5.0 setup. Parts are more common.

C) Run the 1990-1993 “A9L” ECM w/ an appropriate 24lb Mass Air Meter of your choice.

D) Run the 86-93 distributor w/associated TFI.

Hopefully the above gets you started on a good path.

*Note:
You could search for a complete 1993 Cobra 5.0 too - it had similar components to the 94/95 Cobra 5.0. The issue is, these are much harder to find today than a 94/95 Cobra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.