Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new ceramic coated FPA headers yesterday for my '66 Gal with 390. Wish me luck installing them, reviews I have read say they install easily and clear the factory coffee can starter. Once installed, a complete re-plumb of the the dual exhaust is in order with a nice rumbling sounding set of mufflers!!! Yes, I'm excited!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
What do you have to do to hook them up to your existing exhaust? Or do they just bolt right up?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can see in the pic that they came with socket type adapters to connect the headers to the exhaust system, I did have to tell Stan at FPA what size exhaust pipes I'm running.

·
Registered
197 Posts
SHOULD be a breeze! Mine went rght in on my 62 390 with manual steering i just hope my starter never needs to be replaced! I cant believe how much the ceramic coating cuts down on heat.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I pulled the power steering pump off mine when I was installing the sandersons and it was still off when I returned those and installed the FPA's. Not really sure if it needs to be off, but it made installing that side easy and it's simple to unbolt the pump and move it forward (don't have to disconnect the hoses). Passenger side just dropped right in. Hoping to get mine in for exhaust Memorial day weekend.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, they're installed. Pretty much dropped in. I wrapped them in bubble wrap to install them as I didn't want to damage the coating. The car is going to the muffler shop today for the exhaust work. MAN IT'S LOUD with no exhaust hooked up...LOL! The FPAs cost more, but I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality and appearance (cost $795 USD + shipping). My wife doesn't know it yet, but this is step #1 toward converting to a 4 barrel intake and carb next year ;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well, they're installed. Pretty much dropped in. I wrapped them in bubble wrap to install them as I didn't want to damage the coating. The car is going to the muffler shop today for the exhaust work. MAN IT'S LOUD with no exhaust hooked up...LOL! The FPAs cost more, but I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality and appearance (cost $795 USD + shipping). My wife doesn't know it yet, but this is step #1 toward converting to a 4 barrel intake and carb next year ;)
Congratulations!!! You have just bolted about 40 horsepower to your 390. You WILL notice the difference in the seat of your pants. Bad news is after driving it, the 4 barrel cannot wait until next year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, really? 40-ish more horse?? I know I added at least 40 decibels to it last night, really, ask my neighbor! As far as the intake and carb go, I'd love to find a factory 4 barrel intake and 4100 carb for originality sake. I know aftermarket aluminum intakes blow the doors off factory cast but I'm torn with keeping it looking factory. There are also TONS of better 4bbl carbs that are better than the autolite 4100. Guess I have some thinking to do...lol.

·
Registered
326 Posts
get a rpm intake and holley 750.. paint the intake factory blue and run the stock air cleaner ... looks pretty factory unless you start looking hard ....

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Yea, get the Performer RPM intake! You'll also want free flowing mufflers and big pipe. (at least 2-1/2") Look at the post on here concerning exhaust on a Galaxie. There are some nice mandrel bent tailpipes that will work on these cars... even though they are sold for a GM A-body.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point Tudor. Thanks for stating the obvious, not being sarcastic (this time). I like the idea of painting an aftermarket intake blue. Am I going to need to do cam work with this as well? It's a daily cruiser that gets the "occasional" blast if you know what I mean ;). The exhaust I just replumbed is 2 1/2" with free flow mufflers (still boggles me that a muffler you can see through muffles).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea, get the Performer RPM intake! You'll also want free flowing mufflers and big pipe. (at least 2-1/2") Look at the post on here concerning exhaust on a Galaxie. There are some nice mandrel bent tailpipes that will work on these cars... even though they are sold for a GM A-body.

Good Luck!
Which year A-body tailpipes work? Was it a specific set that work well?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there is no such thing as a better carb than the 4100 for a street car.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I start shopping

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Is there a reason you returned the sanderson ones and got the fpa? Ive been looking at headers for my galaxie and cant decide

If you are asking about my post from way back when it is because I tried to install a set of Sanderson headers on my '67 LTD and the driver's side fit but the passenger's side wouldn't clear the cross member. They at first blamed it on my engine mounts and then whoever I was dealing with told me it was because a '67 LTD had a completely different frame when compared to a '67 Galaxie. That was a bit much for me.....

Others have used them and either they dropped in with no problems or they modified the headers or their frame to make them work. I've had both on my bench and the FPA headers are clearly a far superior product and their customer service was also superior. I have pictures of both headers and can send them to you if you would like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts