Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a love/hate relationship with my Supercomp headers. I absolutely love them when I don't have to mess with them. Putting them back on the engine now with the rebuilt heads is driving me bazonkers. Having head studs does not help this situation either.

I know. it is like a Chinese finger puzzle putting these things in. Unbolt the motor mounts, jack up the engine(forgot to loosen the tranny mount so I may have to replace it), slide it all the way to the right side(I think I remember this), put the left side header on because theres no way it will clear the steering box otherwise. Then slide it as far as it will go left still jacked up off the motor mount brackets. Utilizing my octopus arms I can then snake the right side header up in there and over the head bolts. Then I can let it back down in the motor mount holes, adjust the engine alignment side to side and bolt the engine down.

Spark plugs are almost as much fun but I did some clearancing on the header flanges when I first had my engine on the engine stand so its not too bad.

Hours, this consumes hours and hours of time.

I know. You are going to say that your headers just slide right up in there. Well up yours, LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Hope your wearing a rubber glove.....my headers did slide right up in their, didn't even have to loosen any mounts. Just needed to bend the column shift rod a bit and bend the kick down lever over a bit and there you go. Installed! :D

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I got the .060 angle cut heads torqued down. It was a panic situation at first because they would not go flush. I found that I needed to pull the alignment dowels and clean them up and regrind the lip edges back straight. They went on easy after that and the intake bolt holes line up on both sides so the facing cut that they did on the heads looks right too. I used a feeler gauge and I have a decent amount of gap on the front and back of the intake so that won't have to be taken down any.

Finally got the headers back on. Some of the header bolts have to be started before any of the bolts can be tightened down. There are a couple of these on each side. I don't think I cut my hand or smashed any fingers in the process. Its a miracle.

I've been porting the intake now for a week off and on. I'm having to take a lot off on top, bottom and one side so fortunately there is no fill. I used a coat hanger with a hook on the end to feel the ridges to gauge the first 2 ports. I've got a pilot port finished on each side now and I tapped a line on the intake and head for alignment when I'm done. I didn't really need that. With a Vic Jr you can look down in there and see the 2 middle ports on each side. I threw some intake gaskets on the intake and marked the rest of the ports. I guess I opened up the intake runners more than I had thought.

I just thought of this. I probably should do an initial, dry compression check.

It has been slow. I'm very ill and have been for some time. Partial kidney failure for unknown reason so far. It is making me very tired all the time. Can't work on the car when I'm this tired. I see the doctor again tomorrow to determine what tests will be done next.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I feel for you with the header installation which has a similar routine.

My Accufabs on the 351w block are just as ignorant, if not more. Because I use the factory Z-bar which requires the frame bracket under the steering column, I spend hours installing the headers. I actually remove the steering wheel and pull the steering column up out of the way to be able to start the bracket bolts. Its easier to be fighting only the 1" steering shaft instead of the 3" column. I have created a fancy tool that resembles an old distributor wrench in order to loosen or tighten the bolts once its all together.

Take care of that kidney man. We want to see you get back in action and test all your new work.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Exactly how I felt when I had Super Comps on mine. Impossible to install, unless you drop the k-member, and always had a slight leak thanks to the 2-piece driver side header (never mind the tiny clearance you get to put the steering shaft through it). But, hit 2k and the power was addicting. Just that experience alone has dissuaded me from even entertaining the concept of long tubes when I finally get around to do my 4.6 -> 5.4 swap.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I just spent 3 hours on the drivers side header on my Falcon. The zbar goes thru it so it all has to go in all as one. Then the frame bracket! Maybe a small Indonesian kid could easily get his hand in there. Anyways, it's in now. Hope nothing goes wrong on fire up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts