Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please look at my gaskets

I have everything off my heads except the headers and they are dangling loose. Now comes the jacking the engine up part. Why in the world would they invent a set of headers that requires you to have to jack up the engine the get the fricken fracken things off.

Can you tell I'm impatient, LOL. Pop the head bolts, some clean up and the heads are they are ready to go get machined.

Found a weird intake gasket phenom. The edges of the gasket were pushed into the runner path. And on some it was significant. That couldn't be good for performance I don't think. What would cause this other than maybe the wrong intake gasket? They were not over torqued. I need those exhaust cross over block off biscuits for the Vic Jr and it has no rear water cross over either.

Checked a few of the lifters and they are not pitted and no grooves. Just barely show any wear at all to me. These look good for another year or 2?

Same with the valve stem tips. They show some witness but no grooves, rough edge, pitting or anything I can see as abnormal. Big honkin retainers, LOL. I would like to pause at this time and give thanks to ARP and also Manley, LOL.

It occurred to me just yesterday that a .060 angle mill won't take the same amount of material that a straight cut would do so .06 at .007 per cc = 8cc(.056 cut obviously, I rounded it up) but not if its an angle mill. I don't know how to calculate the difference of this. Obviously it will be something less than 8 cc's.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Don't start cursing the headers until you've built your own, with more or less equal lengths and large radius bends, kept them lightweight, mass produced them, and still managed a profit in doing so.

Having built a few exhaust systems & headers, I can tell you first hand---it's not nearly as easy as it looks! First set took me almost a month working every day 12-16 hours. Second set took about 2 weeks, same work time. The pros are faster than I am but they are still challenging and they'll make you appreciate off the shelf headers with their lower cost.

THe gasket hanging into the port doesn't usually cost any power unless you have a real race car that needs every last ounce of CFM it can get. Think-Pro Stock, NASCAR, etc. Mine's around 750 HP and the gaskets are smaller than the ports in the heads. So is the intake. It works fine-actually some people smarter than I say that they've been doing this same thing for a good while, stating that it helps with reversion issues if there are any.

What do you need the x-over biscuits for? The Victor Jr manifold doesn't have a passage in it. Just put the gasket on. Fel Pro 1250 doesn't have the passage in the gasket and has bigger ports than most of the auto parts store stock replacement stuff does.

what heads are those?

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Those gaskets are junk. Common Felpro Printoseal (Printo-leak)

Could be over torquing, could be expansion differences between heads and intake, but LOTS and LOTS of people see that bead split the material then leak.

Buy a cheap old school fiber gasket from Mr Gasket or Edelbrock, you will be much happier. The cheaper Felpro line that is blue fiber without the bead is also much better

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It looks like those intake gaskets were too small for my heads but I also have a port mismatch with the intake manifold. You can see the line on the left sides of the intake ports on the top head. Its on the opposite side on the other head. I was aware of it but I didn't fix it last time. It is possible I may have gotten ambitious with the wrench but I don't recall ever doing that. Yeah no more printoseal. The problem is you don't see this stuff until you take the thing back apart.

After this photo I pulled all the valves and I now can see that the heads need more a bit more work than I had remembered. I just love grinding on heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts