Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back when the local high school threw out for junk a Frame-a-liner for straightening up things on an auto after a collision. Looks as if one of my cars was hit way back when, and now want to use it again.

Problem is that the little hand operated hydraulic pumps have gone bad. They use some 1/2 inch and 12 mm little pumps, like on a standard heavy duty axle jack. The little leather cups are K-poot.

I called the local hydraulic hose places with no luck. But where can you get a few of those little leather cups for hydraulic purposes. They used to be quite common for 3 or 4 decades. Now no one has heard of them.

Wm.

·
Administrator
21,795 Posts
Maybe you need to show and tell because they just can't get it without pics. There must be some place that has them.
When I needed the 2 little short hoses for my powersteering it didn't make sense to the parts places either til I got hold of the right person.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 9/6/06 9:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
278 Posts
I really have no clue what you are working on but can tell you this - only once has an extended e-bay search failed to produce an obscure part for me...

Remembering to live Coram Deo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65Custom on 9/6/06 9:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I tell you fellows. You need to get involved with the night (or adult) courses they offer at your local (criminal) high school. Have taken up their offers on training in welding, computer repair, auto body, and auto painting. Cost each about $30 per 4 1/2 month semester, and they will finance if you cannot afford that. Was sorry for a choice I made in that the day I signed up for a welding semester, was also last of an auto interior uphostery class. Instructor was retiring and no replacement could be found. They only had seven students at the sewing machines.

The Frame-a-liner was a trade I made years ago. I gave the instructor two cases of soda pop, and he looked the other way as I put the pieces into my P-U truck one evening. Even had the students help me load it. It sat out in rear portion of my lot for about six years. Then had been given a 1963 Galaxie XL by widow of friend. It looked good, drove it home, but steered strange. Got to looking and it was whacked back when. Got the whole thing taken apart now, frame into the cradle of the Frame-a-liner. Which is when I discovered the hydraulic problems. Had to straighten some of the steel structure, and bugs even crawled into the hydraulic lines. This is an older design, one using manual strength. The more modern style as used at the high school is all electric powered hydraulics. Mine has a bunch of hand pumps which get attached to the side of the cradle. From there you take up tension on chains and hooks, and then begin bending back into shape, one pump at a time.

Found via internet the company which made it was from Racine, and got bought out in late 1970's Now they no longer make such equipment, nor are located there.

I have four master (hand) pumps, three of which look original and one a replacement. They look like small 1950's era brake master cylinders, which in turn pump juice to hydraulic rams attached to the arms. The old ones have a 1/2 in bore, and a piston with a little leather cup at the end. The one replacement is similar design, but has a neoprene cup and in 12mm bore. There is a little gauge in line with the cylinders which tell of available pressure in 0-20 tons. On two of the locations I can get up to where the chain runs out of slack, but cannot put any more pressure on. At one (the newest) I can't even get the ram to push tha arm for it blows fluid out the packing.

In talking to the local hydraulic hose places they call them U-cups now. No known place to obtain, for they use O-rings now on such applications.

Per the pictures noted below. I do not have an electronic camera, but do have a scanner. The piston and parts really-really resemble that of which go inside a heavy duty common hydraulic axle jack. The fully assembled one is 12mm diameter, neoprene cup, and has a little flat spot in it. The other one is taken apart. It is 1/2 inch diameter, leather cup, with a special collered nut to go down inside for tightening. It looks to have worn off on to one side. The third is same, but broke all up due to rust in the bore.

Where do you find these things, and what is correct terms I ought to use? I searched the infamous Internet auction service but came up with nothing. A good six years ago, I located a place in Los Angeles that stocked leather cups to fit a 3 7/16" diameter ram on a 40 ton hydraulic press I was fixing. They went out of business four years ago. Can't try them now.

I want to get going on this straightening before the rains come, and the weeds grow up to hide evreything. I cannot seem to get things to post here correctly so if you would take a look at the old parts at:

http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/ebay/hyd1.jpg

and at:

http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/ebay/hyd2.jpg

Just copy and paste into your address bar of your browser for a look at.

Wm.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There is a jack repair place here in Baton Rouge dont know if it helps but his info is R W Thibodeaux Hydraulic jacks at 225-357-6522. Hes about half retired but hes a good old guy who helped me ruibuild a 50 year old floor jack.

·
Administrator
21,795 Posts
Your description of leather reminds me of the old hand tire pumps. They used a leather washer at the end. When I was a kid I'd have to take the pump apart every now and then and soak the leather in oil to get it to seat and hold air.
Sure wish I could help you out with idea but have no idea. I even did some looking on the net also for frame puller parts. Have you tried that search term?
Is there any way you could possible by the right thickness of leather and use heat and water or something to form the peices you need?
Those classes sound great, wonder if they still do such a thing.

Just did some searching for "leather hydraulic U-cups"
Everything points to them being called packings.

Look at these and if not them there are other places.

http://www.monarch-mclaren.com/packings.html

And this place

http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/14105/css/14105_126.htm

http://www.allsealsinc.com/pro01.htm

Deb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 9/7/06 11:46am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts