Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, everyone, I am new to this forum, and in need of direction and/or advice. I just purchased a 64 500 Convertible; the vehicle definitely needs a new frame. My question is does anyone know if a frame from a 500 2dr hardtop can be used? I realize that there is no X-member on the 2dr hardtop frame, however asking if I were to purchase a 2dr hardtop donor with a good frame, could I remove my X-member, and reweld it onto the donor frame?
Thanks in Advance.

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride.
A hardtop maybe could be used but you'd have to do a lot of reinforcing. If your X frame is good it may be possible to transplant it to the hardtop frame.

I'll add a pic of the convertible frame. Maybe compare the 2? Anything's possible with time, money and determination. What areas are bad on the convertible frame? Maybe you can replace only those areas?

I have a few more but maybe find some pics of the non convertible frame and can gather more insight.

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Mode of transport

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride.
A hardtop maybe could be used but you'd have to do a lot of reinforcing. If your X frame is good it may be possible to transplant it to the hardtop frame.

I'll add a pic of the convertible frame. Maybe compare the 2? Anything's possible with time, money and determination. What areas are bad on the convertible frame? Maybe you can replace only those areas?

I have a few more but maybe find some pics of the non convertible frame and can gather more insight.

View attachment 171089
View attachment 171090
View attachment 171088
View attachment 171087
Thank you for the assistance, the existing frame is about 75% gone. especially from the doors and back over the rear end. I temporarily welded some 2"x2" tubing along the inner rails, in order to be able to lift it. My X-Frame is very solid, however if I were able to locate a complete convertible frame, I would prefer it.

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
There is this one, but has rust too. Says there are 2 frames here. Maybe the pictures will help with the idea of a non convertible frame. Being from the dakotas and their snow there it's hard to say how much rust we can't see on these.

Here's a '63 non convertible frame but great pics to look at. They use the same shocks and many other things the same as '64. At least it expands the search to 2 yrs. After comparing the 2 frames, at least by photos it looks to me like it would work great to do a cross beam transplant long as you get lots of measurements so you weld it to the same location. So not to throw off the drive shaft "tunnel" and other things like that. Plus less money, but then again the time and supplies might be a balance.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
No familiar with 63 or 64 convertible frames but if the reinforcement was welded in like the 50's cars, it looks rather hap hazardly done with a stick welder. I'm not a welder but have some great ones local and have no doubt if I did the grunt work and measurements, they could stab a X member into regular frame in half a day. Labor rates are something to consider as opposed to buying and shipping proper part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is this one, but has rust too. Says there are 2 frames here. Maybe the pictures will help with the idea of a non convertible frame. Being from the dakotas and their snow there it's hard to say how much rust we can't see on these.

Here's a '63 non convertible frame but great pics to look at. They use the same shocks and many other things the same as '64. At least it expands the search to 2 yrs. After comparing the 2 frames, at least by photos it looks to me like it would work great to do a cross beam transplant long as you get lots of measurements so you weld it to the same location. So not to throw off the drive shaft "tunnel" and other things like that. Plus less money, but then again the time and supplies might be a balance.

Thanks again for the assistance, I believe ive located a southern frame, will keep updates posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts