Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got A ??? maybe a few.... got a fully rebuilt motor ( 352 ) in my 63 galaxie , new rear main.... everything .... everything is great if you dont mind the oil leaking everywhere...... It seems my seal didnt get in right or something ... or maybe im just lucky and get to work on %&#@ sixteen times.... LOL The ? I have is..... seal type, is there only one kind , mine came in a kit with the motor rebuild... seemed a bit flimsy but this is my first time working on this...

Now that I will be doing this on my back under the car , is there a better seal or a good way to install . no gasket sealer ? 15 gallons ? any help would be great cause the only thing I can think of right now is a gernade ...... LOL Any links, part numbers , to good seals.... thanks, from the greasey guy under the dang car .

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
That is a tough job fixing the seal from underneath. To get the pan off you probably have to jack the engine up some and then stuff some wood in the motor mounts, even then it aint easy. Better be sure it is the rear seal first. Just because you see the oil back there don't mean jack, could be coming from anywhere, even from the front, blown there by the fan.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Check the valve covers and the intake manifold where the heads, block and manifold meet up. After you are sure they are not leaking then pull the inspection cover and make sure it's the rear main and not the cam plug or galley plugs. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have not even drove this thing down the road so its pretty easy to see the leak , have looked all around back of intake and all that . I actually think its leaking from the two side seals..... pulled the pan down and the rubber side seals where just a little short of the pan gasket ..... put some permatex on them hopeing it was it...... well nope still a leak . maybe a little less . so im thinking if it was leaking on that side figured it was on the top side of the seal as when we put them in we didnt put any permatex on them .... hind site should have, read another place guys put some on the ends when they push them in place.... Gonna pull the pan again..... and pull the block out. the seal around the crank itself should be in a certain way , which way is correct ??? just to make sure its not something stupid... lol When I start it up last the oil seems to collect on the bottom edge of the tranny ... none on the pan fly wheel is dry . looks just like the tranny seal is leaking but its oil not tranny fluid. thanks for the help ...

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I actually think its leaking from the two side seals..... pulled the pan down and the rubber side seals where just a little short of the pan gasket ..... put some permatex on them hopeing it was it...... well nope still a leak . maybe a little less . so im thinking if it was leaking on that side figured it was on the top side of the seal as when we put them in we didnt put any permatex on them .... hind site should have, read another place guys put some on the ends when they push them in place.... Gonna pull the pan again..... and pull the block out. the seal around the crank itself should be in a certain way , which way is correct ??? ..

X2 what 63ford said. If the engine is all cleaned up maybe you could run it without the fan belt or spin the oil pump with a drill and maybe some dye and see if the leak is somewhere else. The timing cover and the intake gaskets are possibilities.

Did you hammer in the nails into the side seals? Maybe that's the only problem. You need the nails in order to force the seal against the block.

If you do pull the rear main cap look at the crank seal and if the lip is facing front that is probably not the problem. I assume you are using the rubber seals, not the rope kind which used a pin in the groove.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i went to the garage this morning and found no oil on the ground under the car , GOOD sign. cause before I pulled the pan yesterday there was a puddle about 16 inches round . Pretty sure I fixed one leak as the side seal didnt seal all the way to the pan gasket , i put some permatex on there and reassembled....... well it slowed the leak and doesnt just drip out not running Its only leaking when running . BTW I did put the nails in the side gaskets . I am useing the rubber two peice seal

My best guess is the top of the side seals maybe didnt get all the way to the top , we just put them in dry ...... seen some say to lube them with oil so they slide in .....

Somebody said those seals will swell when oil gets to them .... is there some truth to this ??? thought about running it some down the road , As I havent even got it out of the driveway . if it got hot and oil on the seal ??? would it maybe slide up in place and slow the drip ..... Just a thought. I dont mind a slight drip just not puddles every where I go.... lol

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you go back at it, clean everything in there really really good with brake clean. You might have to clearance the side seals just a hair to get them to slide in correctly. Lube them with some grey rtv before you slide them in. If you use "the right stuff" you can also pack those areas with A LOT of rtv. Lastly, off set the main seal itself.

I read this in Barry's book. I did this on my rebuild. I have not had any issues with sealing in this area.

The rear main cap on this engine reminds me a lot of a cam cap on a modern DOHC engine. When rebuilding those, we generally put a light coat of rtv on the mating surfaces to prevent oil seeping or leaking. I did this too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you go back at it, clean everything in there really really good with brake clean. You might have to clearance the side seals just a hair to get them to slide in correctly. Lube them with some grey rtv before you slide them in. If you use "the right stuff" you can also pack those areas with A LOT of rtv. Lastly, off set the main seal itself.

I read this in Barry's book. I did this on my rebuild. I have not had any issues with sealing in this area.

The rear main cap on this engine reminds me a lot of a cam cap on a modern DOHC engine. When rebuilding those, we generally put a light coat of rtv on the mating surfaces to prevent oil seeping or leaking. I did this too.
Ok , I took it back apart and put gasket sealer on the end cap mateing surface , little sealer in the bottom where the side seals slide down and when all was done little over the ends against the pan seal .

When you say off set the rear main seal . Exactly what offset and how , It seems they are in a slot not sure I follow the offset thing . thanks for any help ....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
he means not to line the 2 piece main seal itself with the mating surface of the main.. Stagger it, one side down in the groove 1/2" or so the other end sticking "out" the same amount, the same for the other 'half' , but opposite, so when you put the main cap on, the parting lines of the cap/block/and seals are NOT in line.... Hope I didnt confuse you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he means not to line the 2 piece main seal itself with the mating surface of the main.. Stagger it, one side down in the groove 1/2" or so the other end sticking "out" the same amount, the same for the other 'half' , but opposite, so when you put the main cap on, the parting lines of the cap/block/and seals are NOT in line.... Hope I didnt confuse you.

Ok that makes sence... thanks , Well i took the car for a little drive up the road to the gas station . got back and no drips..... guess maybe getting it heated up real good might have helped it seal up nice... thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts