Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my summit long tube headers for a 65 289 mustang today and i got a quote for 130$to get them installed . the guy said hed install them and run my pipes through the side exits. he said i should buy some glasspacks so that i wont run open headers. will the glasspacks sound nice and loud? My main question is if i should get an x-pipe installed before the glasspacks?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, the x-pipe should be before the glasspacks and they will be nice and loud.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just a thought, why pay someone to install the headers? They are real easy to install, generally, and while exhaust systems can be a pain in the arse, a little time and a little planning produces great results. Take the $130 and spend it on tools to put in YOUR toolbox. BTW, Flowmaster now offers a complete 2 1/2" exhaust kit for the early cars, 64-66, but should fit up to 1970 at least.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hemikiller on 3/21/02 7:03pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I had slass packs on my stang for a few years and thought it sounded cool, until I switched to 2 chamber flows. They are much louder and sound a lot better IMO. If you really want side exit and chambered mufflers you need mufflers thet enter and exit on the same side. Spin tech makes some that are only $60 each, You can get them at dallas mustang.

·
Registered
521 Posts
glass packs are NICE AND LOUD.... my maverick has them and i actually got sick of it being so loud and its a mostly stock 302 that sucks big time!! definitely get an xpipe though... i like how they sound very very well

·
Registered
278 Posts
Glass packs are usually very loud. I took mine off because they were so loud. They are basicly a straight pipe, especially when the glass burns out.

I just installed my long tube Hedman headers only took two hours. You can do it if you have basic mechanical skills. Just don't wrench on the old manifold bolts if they don't want to come out. Soak them with penatrating oil overnight first. A hack saw will cut the old exhaust pipes to connect to the header reducers.

I have heard good things about the Flowmaster dual kits, but they are a little expensive.

·
Registered
682 Posts
dont use glassbacks they sound cheap go with xpipe into 2 or 3 chamber flows for that muscle sound got 1\3\4 hookers into 3'' x pipe into 2\1\2 flows 2 chamber on my 69mach1 408 should here this thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts