Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going be be below zero here for 48 hours, getting down to maybe 12 deg. The Gal is in the garage, it she in danger? I don't want use antifreeze, maybe there is something else I can do?

·
Registered
369 Posts
You should use antifreeze because it also prevents corrosion (rust) in the engine block and heads. If you have a heated garage then you should be okay as is but otherwise not sure what to suggest other than driving south, try to leave the car running, or pay to have it stored in a heated environment. I would not recommend trying to just drain all the water out, as you will never get it all and it just takes a small amount trapped somewhere to crack the block.

The easiest and cheapest solution would be to pull one end of the bottom radiator hose off to drain the water out, then find your coolant capacity in your owners or shop manual and refill the radiator with half that amount of antifreeze. If you have room left, top off with water. Then start the car and drive or let it idle until at operating temperature to mix the water and antifreeze.

Pat

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You should use antifreeze because it also prevents corrosion (rust) in the engine block and heads. If you have a heated garage then you should be okay as is but otherwise not sure what to suggest other than driving south, try to leave the car running, or pay to have it stored in a heated environment. I would not recommend trying to just drain all the water out, as you will never get it all and it just takes a small amount trapped somewhere to crack the block.

The easiest and cheapest solution would be to pull one end of the bottom radiator hose off to drain the water out, then find your coolant capacity in your owners or shop manual and refill the radiator with half that amount of antifreeze. If you have room left, top off with water. Then start the car and drive or let it idle until at operating temperature to mix the water and antifreeze.

Pat
+1 for sure! The quickest way to destroy a cooling system is just by using water and it self destructs even faster if you have aluminum components like heater cores, radiators and heads that are grounded to the vehicle (big galvanic battery).

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can always drain the anti freeze out later if you don’t want to run it. I wouldn’t chance straight water freezing in my block! Weigh out the pros and cons here.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I opened the petcock and caught the water.mighr as well play it safe.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I opened the petcock and caught the water.mighr as well play it safe.
Draining the Rad does NOT drain the block.

If it freezes it could still crack the block.

You need to pull the drain plugs on BOTH sides of the block to drain it.
Good luck.
They are hard to get at in the car, and are usually seized solid.

Better to add antifreeze and run the engine to mix it, like was suggested above....

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also opened the flush valve I have on the heater hose thinking that will release water from the block.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Draining the Rad does NOT drain the block.

If it freezes it could still crack the block.

You need to pull the drain plugs on BOTH sides of the block to drain it.
Good luck.
They are hard to get at in the car, and are usually seized solid.

Better to add antifreeze and run the engine to mix it, like was suggested above....
+1 !

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Power went out 1:30 am. Still out.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
if you dont like using anti freeze on regular basis....
and only using water,,, then you need to use distilled water only..
or your cooling system will rust and corrode...
this time of year you have to ad anti freeze... and at -37 your playing Russian roulette unless block is completely empty of water...:oops:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Going be be below zero here for 48 hours, getting down to maybe 12 deg. The Gal is in the garage, it she in danger? I don't want use antifreeze, maybe there is something else I can do?
That's like shorts weather!:eek: You guys are getting a mild version of what we've had for the past couple of weeks. At least we expect it every year. And, you realy do want use antifreeze. ;)

Reactions: rickyracer1983

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's like shorts weather!:eek: You guys are getting a mild version of what we've had for the past couple of weeks. At least we expect it every year. And, you really do want use antifreeze. ;)
Ah yes, good Old Grand Dad anti-freeze. Now that's what I'm talking about. That along with a wood burning fireplace and a DIESEL GENERATOR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it's too late now but have you ever thought about dipstick heaters, freeze plug heaters or heaters you put in line with your heater hoses? Your auto parts stores probably don't know what these are and if they did wouldn't have them in stock. You can always go start it up every 3 or 4 hours. My $.02.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Power has been out since Sunday. I've been firing it up in the evenings and letting it run with an empty radiator for a few minutes. Supposed to get and stay above freezing Saturday. Till then no power no water. Man, for Houstonians, this is brutal!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts