Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I read plain distilled water keeps the car cooler in hot weather. Well, plain water plus some additives. Here in Houston heat is the enemy... was the enemy :mad:.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
A good radiator......good water pump.....good thermostat and a clean block with a good Antifreeze mixture cannot be beat for cooling and CORROSION RESISTANCE....especially with multiple metals in the system Putts!! (y) :confused::giggle:

·
Registered
978 Posts
A good radiator......good water pump.....good thermostat and a clean block with a good Antifreeze mixture cannot be beat for cooling and CORROSION RESISTANCE....especially with multiple metals in the system Putts!! (y) :confused::giggle:
YES! ^^^^THIS ^^^^

Running a street car with straight water, distilled or not, even with so-called "additives" is just plain silly.

Why do you think the car manufacturers sell their vehicles with the cooling system filled with antifreeze,
EVEN IF the car is sold in a climate that never sees freezing temps?

Good question, hey?

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well then I will reconsider! I have a half gallon of Orange AF, compatable with Dex-cool I could add.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
+1 for sure.

I'd also like to add It's a must having the correct application radiator, correct fan shroud and correct fan. For factory A/C you should have the 7 bladed fan with a thermostatic fan clutch that's not 20+ years old. I see so many old cars with overheating problems around me (desert) and either there's no fan shroud, or they have some hideous aftermarket radiator that doesn't fit right or some crappy aftermarket electric fan or the fan blade to fan shroud distance is way off as in the fan is sitting outside the shroud or way inside the shroud.

Just as a side note running without a shroud has the effect of making the fan much smaller in diameter for pulling air through the radiator but still wasting engine power to drive it because of vortices generated at the tips rolling back around to the front and spoiling the laminar air flow. The shroud greatly reduces that.

Cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hummm, my 66 Gal 7 Liter appears to be 100% stock with no missing parts. It's an automatic car with no A/C. My car has no shroud (and no sign that one was ever installed). So is it possible these Galaxie's with 428 engines came with no radiator shrouds?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hummm, my 66 Gal 7 Liter appears to be 100% stock with no missing parts. It's an automatic car with no A/C. My car has no shroud (and no sign that one was ever installed). So is it possible these Galaxie's with 428 engines came with no radiator shrouds?
Hello 7 Litre,

Yes yours most likely did not come with a fan shroud. My above post was in relation to cars fitted with air conditioning. Many cars without A/C and lower horsepower engines were not fitted with a shroud back in this time period. The performance cars were usually outfitted with a fan shroud and thermostatic fan. If you have a look the R code (427) galaxies, they came with a shroud.

But every 3rd gen full size Ford with A/C, be it integral (factory) or dealer installed (hang on) has a shroud and it's imperative sitting at idle in traffic on a hot summers day with the A/C on.

I'd like to add that when Ford didn't put a shroud on at the factory it was for a stock engine. When the original engine configuration gets changed (as many do) things like improper ignition timing, lean mixtures and miscalculated camshafts/pistons/head volumes can result in a low dynamic compression ratio and raise the heat output significantly even at idle and at that point increasing the cooling via a shroud and possible a fan clutch would be needed to prevent overheating, even without air conditioning.

Cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello 7 Litre,

Yes yours most likely did not come with a fan shroud. My above post was in relation to cars fitted with air conditioning. Many cars without A/C and lower horsepower engines were not fitted with a shroud back in this time period. The performance cars were usually outfitted with a fan shroud and thermostatic fan. If you have a look the R code (427) galaxies, they came with a shroud.

But every 3rd gen full size Ford with A/C, be it integral (factory) or dealer installed (hang on) has a shroud and it's imperative sitting at idle in traffic on a hot summers day with the A/C on.

I'd like to add that when Ford didn't put a shroud on at the factory it was for a stock engine. When the original engine configuration gets changed (as many do) things like improper ignition timing, lean mixtures and miscalculated camshafts/pistons/head volumes can result in a low dynamic compression ratio and raise the heat output significantly even at idle and at that point increasing the cooling via a shroud and possible a fan clutch would be needed to prevent overheating, even without air conditioning.

Cheers
Thank you for the reply to my question. That's good to know. I've have my engine rebuilt back to stock (all though it needed to be bored .030" over). I'm still working on getting it drive-able so I haven't tested if I have overheating issues on the road yet. But just sitting in the garage and running it seems to be fine. I've added a temp gauge and after 20 min at various RPM's it seems to hold the coolant to 190 F (OAT 80 F).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts