Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks - which alignment Specs would you take if your Car is Power Steered and got new American Classics 215/75/R14 wheels on it?

I think the Specs in the Manual won´t fit.:confused:

At this time the self center ecffect in Cornering is not enough. Before I replaced the Bushings at the front axle - especially the Idler Arm Bushings the Steering wheel moved like a Steering Wheel on a boat without the Captain....
So the Car found his way for itself out of the Curves into a straight line...but this was before I replaced all...made Laser alignment procedure and the Gal don´t slide on the track and the drivin´line is very straight.... but the Curve behaviour is bad - in my opinion...

Only a Caster thing? What´s your Opinion? Or less grease anywhere?
I´m afraid I don´t know that....:cry: do I now have to align the steering box too - or does this have nothing to do with the bad cornering effect?? perhaps a Power Steering Valve thing? Where lies the Rabbit in the pepper???

Greetz - Oliver from good old Germany

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Don't know what you used for specs. But here is what I use. Caster +1/2*, camber +5/8* +or- 1/4*, Toe in 1/8" to 1/4" closer to 1/4".

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After alignment at an US Car Service the driving behaviour is much better now. But the Car isn´t greedy for curves at this time - means the Steering wheel won´t follow like a dog on a leash and I have to correct the habit.

Drivin straight is awesome but curve behaviour won´t.... Where to look further? Maybe Power Steering Prob?

Which effect does it have to totally screw in the Fast Idle Cam Screw on a 4100 Autolite? And nearly screw out?

Don´t understand the Shop Manual in this Case..

And last but not least? Anyone knows a good source for a 390er mechanical fuel pump with canister for my Gal? The last leaves the breathe while I´m driving in the fields.... thank god towing service helped me out....

that´s why I love this Car.... breakdown when I can´t use it.... LOL

thanks
Guys...

Oliver from Germany

Got 215/75 R14 American Classics on it with a pressure of about 2,4 ATM (don´t know the PSI Data) - Front Axle is completely new, Idler Arm Bushings, Stabilizers, Lower Control Arm Bushings.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Increase caster to 2.0 use 2.5 on low crown side set camber to .5 and watch the tire for wear set toe in .15 or so. Caster is what returns the wheel, short caster makes for a quick return long caster makes for a smooth return.

Howdy from a guy has a german wife :) her mom is a berliner, east berlin got out age 12 before the wall went up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would say caster too low...right? No Steering thing? Read horrible stories about worn steering boxes and sticky Power Steering Valve...

The feelin at higher Speed drivin curves is unsecure... Car drives strict a straight line at the track....breakin equal.... very good...

I´m from Cologne Germany and have a penpal in Porterville/Ca.

What about my questions of the Fast hot Idle Screw and the Source for a mech. Fuel Pump for my 390 with Canister....

Would you give more Air in the Tires by the way...???

Olli

1 - 8 of 8 Posts