Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ive got a 65 galaxie and im looking to do a front disk brake conversion and was wonder what is a good kit to get and what all I need to order thanks for the help

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wilwood fan here. Kit comes complete with 2 hour install.
After doing all the research I could find on this topic, this is the direction I am going in. All of these seem to wind up costing around the same if you have to source parts (junk yard, ebay, etc), possibly refurb them or clean them up to be usable, and the time it takes to sort through all of the different parts and trial & error with matching up components has me going with this one-stop-shop of brand new parts in a kit made for this car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i used scarbird front kit on a 67 custom with a blower tubbed out work great I use a 7" dual diaphragm and a 1 1/8 bore corvette style cylinder stop fine and I use a jegs kit on my tds 9"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wilwood fan here. Kit comes complete with 2 hour install.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead.
I’m new here.

im going to go with the wilwood kit on the front and stay drums in the rear for now. Due to cash flow.
What master cylinder should I go with? I have power drum/drum now. Was hoping to find a master cylinder I could use on the stock booster..... but haven’t had any luck

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead.
I’m new here.

im going to go with the wilwood kit on the front and stay drums in the rear for now. Due to cash flow.
What master cylinder should I go with? I have power drum/drum now. Was hoping to find a master cylinder I could use on the stock booster..... but haven’t had any luck
Sorry I do not have experience with this conversion using power booster. I went from manual drum/drum to manual disc/drum using the same stock manual dual master cylinder. Wilwwood may have a kit designed for a boosted manual ms.

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
I wanted the transparent reservoir so I went with a $40 disc/drum 1988 Bronco II master with a 15/16” bore and it fit fine. You still have to pay for brake lines, fittings and a $60 combination/ proportioning valve.. over $100.

None of that is essential for power discs. You can install the discs using the existing MC and if you're satisfied you've saved some money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted the transparent reservoir so I went with a $40 disc/drum 1988 Bronco II master with a 15/16” bore and it fit fine. You still have to pay for brake lines, fittings and a $60 combination/ proportioning valve.. over $100.

None of that is essential for power discs. You can install the discs using the existing MC and if you're satisfied you've saved some money.
The existing master is a single reservoir I want to get rid of that.
I thought about using a Chrysler style with no combination valve. Full pressure to the front and a adjustable valve for the rear to keep the drums from locking

·
Subscriber
736 Posts
i always go to '69 Mustangs for the reservoir (but there are certainly others). in 69 the Mustang had every brake combination possible, so the parts are available.

·
Registered
223 Posts
hey guys ive got a 65 galaxie and im looking to do a front disk brake conversion and was wonder what is a good kit to get and what all I need to order thanks for the help
Here's one...

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts