Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of any affordable tools for doing your own home alignments, its so hard to find a shop that has a clue how to adjust the Caster cabmer plates. The nearest custom place from me is like 25 miles and I just changed the K-member, shocks and Rack, so my settings are off, and don't want to kill my tires getting there.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you want to do it yourself, you can use this guage to set the caster and camber:

You can get it from www.afcoracing.com . You can use a tape measure to set the toe, or they make guages for that too.

I dont think driving it 25 miles will hurt the tires too much. Just make sure the toe is right, and that the tires dont look too far out of wack.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You must have some really 'backyard' alignment shops around there.
Adjustable caster/camber plates are a literal 'godsend'.
To have a choice of messing with the minimal adjustment of stock/factory crap, OR to have totally adjustable/tweakable caster/camber plates?...Duh.
Again, I reitterate. They must be real high tech shops with the best guys/gals in them!...........NOT

·
Registered
66 Posts
My C/C gauge was made by Auto Pro Racing Systems 404-998-8855. It works for rim sizes from 12" - 17".

Ran about $50. Accurate to 1/8* for caster and camber. I do ALL my own alignments at home now!!

You will need to make some "slider plates" also, so the tires don't bind on the floor. Mine are 2 12"x12" pieces of steel plate 1/2" thick. I lay them on the floor on top of some 1/4" x 2" steel dowel pins. Works great!

·
Registered
283 Posts
To set my alginment to get it to the shop, I just use a standard carpenter's level, and a tape measure. If you caster is way out of wack, the tire may rub on the front valance or the rear of the fender when you turn the front tires. Just center the steering, set your camber to 0 degrees (center the bubble on the level, held vertically against the side of the tire), ballpark your toe-in to @ 1/8" to 1/4", recheck the camber, and drive on out! I've actually had the alignment shop ask me why I brought the car in for an alignment because I've gotten it so close this way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I'll look into that.
Also you have to remember what part of the country I'm in, DC area, all corporate chains here, merchants, pep boys, ext. All of which around here have morons working in them. Also an alignement costs me 65 at any of these shops, so you can see my problem.
Thanks again,
Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.