Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the board here and hope someone can help.

I have a 1963 falcon that I am fixing up and the front end needs some love. I don't want to cut this car up as it is one of the more rare setups. So the mustang II front end conversion is out. Is there any better than stock bolt on front end parts/kits/urethane bushing kits and so on. Website links would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts

I have a 1963 falcon that I am fixing up and the front end needs some love. I don't want to cut this car up as it is one of the more rare setups. So the mustang II front end conversion is out. Is there any better than stock bolt on front end parts/kits/urethane bushing kits and so on. Website links would be helpful.
Thanks

Did you check out the suspension articles in the tech section? Power or manual steering? 6 or 8 cyclinder? Are you just looking to freshen things up or are you wanting discs? Mac's and Dearborn classics carry all sorts of stuff and you can get replacement suspension/steering parts through Rockauto, Advance etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is a V8 4 speed, manual steering. No I haven't looked at the tech forums, I will have to check that out. I came across a website last night called Performance Suspension Technology that had front end parts and kits. I am looking to freshen it up but would like to use some parts that are, well, better than stock?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am certainly no authority but I have been doing a lot of looking as well. From what I have read it sounds like the stock control arms are your best bet, updated ball joints in those. You can get those anywhere. I haven't seen any fully poly bushing kits but even updated bushings will offer a good improvement. There is a tech article on the cobra Upper A-Arm drop for better handling, check that out. I ran across a larger diameter sway bar kit, I think from Dearborn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PST says their kits can be rubber or poly, I will have to call them. As far as opentracker all their stuff looks like its for mustangs, do those parts bolt up without mods on a 63 falcon?
Also been seeing that people replace the original shock tower braces with aftermarket export braces, are those better? Was already thinking about adding a Monte Carlo brace.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
If it's a factory V8 car then the spring perch and control arms should be interchangable.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Thanks
If you want to improve the handling and keep the costs down, switch out all the steering and suspension parts to 65 Falcon or 65 mustang parts. The centerlink is specific to falcon so a 65 falcon part must be used. All the other mustang parts will fit. In the long run they are less expensive than the 63 parts.
Bump steer will be greatly reduced and handling will be much improved.
Be cautious in using poly bushings as they can be harsh and can cause failures due to being too stiff.
R

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Craig over at the TFFN falcon forum as a pretty nice 63. Check out his Mods may give you a few ideas.

OpenTracker

DazeCars

Rosehill performance parts,

All have parts that can be used to help improve your cars handling.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Thanks
Opentracker upper and lower control arms and Roller spring perch. 65 Falcon centerlink and tie rods and idler arm. Also a must is doing the Shelby/Arning drop on the upper control arms. Set the Alignment at -.5 Camber with Caster at +2.0 degrees, more if power steering and Toe in at 1/16" to 1/8" Use stock rubber bushings on the Strut rods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I ended up picking up a set of 65 V8 spindles off of eBay. So I am going to do the 65 steering swap. The only thing is I have the 63 V8 steering box with the 1 1/8" sector shaft. I've been told I can use the 1967 mustang power steering pitman arm. Looks like it correct via pictures and it does have a 1 1/8" sector. I'm going to pick up my parts from Falcon Enterprises since I am only about 1.5 hours away. See how it goes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I ended up picking up a set of 65 V8 spindles off of eBay. So I am going to do the 65 steering swap. The only thing is I have the 63 V8 steering box with the 1 1/8" sector shaft. I've been told I can use the 1967 mustang power steering pitman arm. Looks like it correct via pictures and it does have a 1 1/8" sector. I'm going to pick up my parts from Falcon Enterprises since I am only about 1.5 hours away. See how it goes.
I would do the Kelsey Hayes Disc brake swap as they will bolt right on your 65 v-8 spindles. Kelsey Hayes disc were on the 65-67 Mustangs. Check out Dan at CHOCKOSTANG for parts. You can use the Raybestos 36440 master cylinder and use an adjustable porportioning valve in the rear brake line. I have this setup on my 65 Sprint and it works great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would do the Kelsey Hayes Disc brake swap as they will bolt right on your 65 v-8 spindles. Kelsey Hayes disc were on the 65-67 Mustangs. Check out Dan at CHOCKOSTANG for parts. You can use the Raybestos 36440 master cylinder and use an adjustable porportioning valve in the rear brake line. I have this setup on my 65 Sprint and it works great.
I am planning on putting disc on. It's a matter of funds at the moment. It's at Vintage HotRod right now getting some rust repair taken care of. When it's finished I'm going to strip the remaining chrome, glass, motor, front end, and then strip the rest of the paint off with aircraft stripper in my garage. Then back to the shop for paint. That's the short list by the way, many more mods will be done including disc brakes. All bolt ons though. Ouch this is getting expensive quick LOL!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a Total Control Products coil-over setup on my 63' Wagon. The only hack you got to do is the shock mount on the top of the tower is replaced with a big metal plate.
If you want I can take picture. But all the suspension components mount where the original does plus it is way tunable for racing. It also lowers the front by about 3".
This is the same setup used on the re-make of gone-60-seconds movie on the Elenor mustang. I love it..

Here is the link to it: Total Control Products

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow that total control setup looks great but pretty pricey too. As far as the sway bar I have that in the list. The 65 spindles I bought off of eBay ended up being 63 spindles stamped C3DA 3108 J and 3107 J. These are the same spindles I already have on the car. Currently going through the claim process to get my money back and get some other spindles. What a PIA. And now it seems as all the spindles on eBay and Craigslist are sold or over priced. I heard I could use some mustang Steve's outer ball joint sleeves to fit the 65 joints to the 63 v8 spindles. Anyway kinda stuck on this till I get it figured out.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Before you go down this road of 65' spindles.. Might want to look at the "Granada Disk Brake Kits".. It basically consist of 77' Granada spindles and disk setup w/master cylender. I did this before I did my TCP suspension upgrade. That is the main reason I went with the TCP setup.. Because I invested in the brake setup.

The guy before me upgraded/swaped the front spindle with a 65 mustang to upgrade to 5 lug.. But it still the same basic drum brakes.. Which well sucked. My rear end is a 74' Maverick (V8) rear end and I opted to keep the drums there as about 20 percent braking occurs there. I would love to do disk there, but it would be more for a wow factor and also the parking break would be an issue.

To answer your comments. The TCP is an expensive upgrade, but it is fully tunable suspension, you can dial it in for racing with radical caster/camber for better handling.. I was also looking at OpenTracker Racing, which the mod out early Mustang suspension components (beef them up), which they also make Falcon stuff just their main biz is Mustang.. But pretty much if it fits a 65 Mustang will Fit ours.. Anyway.. I went with TCP, just looked cooler and more tunable.. My car already has a mustang 1 1/8 sway bar on it. So now its like a mustang station wagon.. ha.. It corners extremely well. Good for another 50 years now..

If I had to back up to 2007 and start over. I would have went with a Mustang 2 type front suspension setup which would gave me more engine options.. But I am happy with what I have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts