Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Front end Rebuild

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  psivory 
#1 ·
I am planning on working on the front end this winter, Springs, bushings, steering stuff, etc. (can't believe summer is almost over!!!) was wondering about the consensus of Poly vs. rubber for the bushings etc.
I went with Poly in the rear last winter but wonder about ride quality up front with Poly bushings.
Any thoughts?

Gracias as always!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 9/5/06 9:15am ]</font>

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't give you any personal experience comments but have heard they are squeaky. I went with rubber thinking it lasted about 40 yrs so i won't be changing it again myself.
Let the son do it or something years from now.

Deb

#3 ·
Chooch is doing what I have found is most common with poly.

Everything but the strut rods. Leave them rubber.

Also, It seems as though the squeeks come from an improperly greased bushing. "Lube the hell out of them" is the word. I would of gone poly in front if I new at the time the Torino bushings were a swap-in piece. But Jerry has found some mods that need to be done.

#4 ·
I re-built my front suspension last spring and went with rubber only because poly bushings with grease fittings were not available. My front end kit was purchased from PST. For my use of my car, I do not think I will be missing too much with rubber.

FYI, my local NAPA charged something like $25.00 to swap out the old bushings with new ones from my kit. You can air chisel out your ball joint rivets in a couple of minutes. Eaton Springs in Detroit furnished my front and rear springs.

#5 ·
I did mine the summer before last and used the PST kit. I also went with rubber. My thought was that with 99% street driving (read that as pot holes, uneven roads, etc) the poly type bushings would make for a harsh ride and I probably wouldn't see the full advantage of them anyway.

Jim

1967 Galaxie 500 XL 390/4-speed
Toploader + Hurst = The ONLY shiftkit!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 673904spd on 9/6/06 7:40am ]</font>

#6 ·
Thanks guys, I was thinking rubber in front instead of Poly like I hve in the rear, seeing as the roads here in RI are terrible (potholes, etc) .
But might go with Poly for some like Jerry is doing.
Raining here again today and tomorow, might be an early season this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.