Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a along time.I will be doing upper/lower ball joints on65 390 ford.What upper and lower control arm parts needed.Is it two upper shafts with bushing and two bolt type assemblys with bushing as well.Am I missing something.Bob Also doing ties etc.Thx

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
here is my experience http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/499019-yes-got-ball-joints-off.html
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/499019-yes-got-ball-joints-off.html

I brought the UCA and bushings to a local place and they charged me $50 to press the bushings into both sides. I made sure they didn't put the shafts in backwards.

If you are thinking about taking off the idler arm you can try this.. http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/501361-steering-almost-kilt-me-2.html

·
Registered
178 Posts
Puttster- where did you get the lower bushings and upper shafts? Right now I have all in boxes, upper and lower ball joints from Summit (moog) and PST, coil springs from Summit (8002 was the replacement for my application I believe.) Tie rod ends and sleeves from rock auto. Idler and maybe pittman bushings from CPD.

Do I need to go to two places for my control arm needs? PST seems to have the shafts, but not the lower bushings. I have an email in to them right now though. Lower bushings maybe from Napa or Advance Auto. I am kind of bummed that Moog or energy doesn't make a full line for the front of this car; or maybe they do and I am missing it. I am just hoping this all works when it finally goes in as I will likely be past any return policy at the rate I am going...

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Puttster- where did you get the lower bushings and upper shafts? Right now I have all in boxes, upper and lower ball joints from Summit (moog) and PST, coil springs from Summit (8002 was the replacement for my application I believe.) Tie rod ends and sleeves from rock auto. Idler and maybe pittman bushings from CPD.

Do I need to go to two places for my control arm needs? PST seems to have the shafts, but not the lower bushings. I have an email in to them right now though. Lower bushings maybe from Napa or Advance Auto. I am kind of bummed that Moog or energy doesn't make a full line for the front of this car; or maybe they do and I am missing it. I am just hoping this all works when it finally goes in as I will likely be past any return policy at the rate I am going...
You can get poly bushings from Energy. Spend some time with the search function, there was an extensive thread a few years ago on suspension rebuilding and upgrading for these years.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks. I will dig a little more.

PST just emailed me back. They have the lower bushings, just not listed online. Kind of a crummy business plan in 2014. JMO. Who knows what else I have bought from someone else because I didn't sent them a wire?

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Some searches have already been done automatically. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to the section called "Similar Threads." There are about six links.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Putt. I forget about those at the bottom (still new to posting on the forum, but I have been a long time listener).

Just ordered the upper and lower bushings from PST. Upper bushings on their own were half the cost of the kit with the shaft. Kind of threw a hail mary there, I guess if I get everything apart and the shafts are bad, I can send the bushings back and get the full kit. Hopefully that wasn't a faux pas. Anyway, I think I have everything but the rubber bumpers for the front end.

I plan on cleaning up the arms and repainting them (semi gloss black I think I read?). Clean up the wheel wells and surrounding areas and reapply under there also. Some of the guys I know think if I am not going to do a full on restoration (not looking to show it or anything) that I shouldn't bother. I think a little is better than just leaving it as is, no?

Thanks for your input guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts