Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a rebuilt C4, was my first rebuild, and had no in person guidance. Sadly, it didn't go so well, but I'm not mad,it's a good learning lesson. I drained the oil out of my C4 which drove fine (other than no 3rd gear, hence the draining of the oil to inspect the valve body), and to my surprise it was more silver/bronze than red... So rather than just fixing 3rd gear I did the right thing and pulled the transmission and disassembled it. Everything inside looks new (shocker), except for the front planetary which has broken gear teeth, and a spread housing/carrier. The input shell also has some marks, presumably from the gear teeth. The front planetary was converted to a 6 pinion rollerized assembly. Machined carried to accept a TH-350 pump bearing, although appears to still be thrust bearings between the gears and housing. Kit also included the reverse-high drum, front and rear planetary ring gear/hub, and reverse planetary, all machined for TH-350 bearings instead of thrust washers. Along with this I used broader's #9 bearing conversion. (Other pieces are not from broader, his bearing piece and upgraded clutch pack kits were/are excellent pieces, and he was very helpful with a few questions I had during my rebuild.) I'm trying to diagnose the cause of the planetary failure to prevent it from happening on this second rebuild. Endplay was .012". Attached are photos of the damage. If anyone has any opinions/knowledge to share, that'd be excellent! Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Why is there a bearing inside the input shell? Hopefully that's not where it was fitted ?

Very unusual for the teeth to break like that . How much power ?
Nothing wrong with the washers under the gears if the lube is good .

Doesn't look to be overheated . Ensure the cooler return is all clear , that's the lube oil for the gearset

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is there a bearing inside the input shell? Hopefully that's not where it was fitted ?

Very unusual for the teeth to break like that . How much power ?
Nothing wrong with the washers under the gears if the lube is good .

Doesn't look to be overheated . Ensure the cooler return is all clear , that's the lube oil for the gearset
Oh my... you just solved it, glad I took that pic... That's supposed to be the #4 thrust washer that goes between the ring gear and the planetary, not between the planetary and input shell... Ring gear/forward clutch hub is machined for a bearing rather than thrust washer. Without that bearing the planetary was able to bottom out on the ring gear/hub and probably bound up and broke some teeth. Now that was a dumb mistake...but I'm glad to know what the cause was, inspected everything left to right, and when I took it all apart and laid it all out I had that being laid out in the right spot lol. Thank you so much!

Edit: Not so much needed now, but motor is estimated a bit over 400hp N/A, but throwing a blower on it once I fix the rust and paint on the car. Hoping for about 650-700hp.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Ah got it in one :)…. Makes sense , I've never seen chipped teeth like that .
Also to help the planets live I always open up the lube hole in the sun gear .

Check your email , bit of light reading .:)

Just a side note , there is a good C4 Facebook page also myself and another guy I met here years ago moderate . Lots knowledgeable guys there also if you want to have a look

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow gregaust that is a lot of valuable information! I'll check out it all before I assemble the transmission again, and will make sure I install all the bearings in the correct spot this time, can't believe I did that lol. Thank you so very much! I will definitely take a look at that group.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Greg is the King of C4s in my book!
Thank You Randy . Try to help where I can . Not always easy but looks like we got this one :)

Lost count how many I have built in 35+ years , Must look up my books one day I have notes and specs I've tried on every one :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts