Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchase a 1970 Torino with 351, 4 dr. I want to convert the manual drums to power disk brakes front and rear. All the suppliers I have called sell the power disk brake conversion kits for '71 models and up. So far no luck in finding a source for a power disk brake kit for my '70. Will the '71 conversion disk brake kit fit my '70 or can you give me a supplier of a '70 power disk brake conversion kit.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My experiance has been {don't quote me} that the 70-71 models shared the same parts.
If you are good wrenching, and feel like doing a little work yourself...you can always knock off the drums, keep the hubs, and do what I did; find a 1999 Crown vic police car, with 12.5" rotors and dual piston calipers. I had to make my own caliper brackets, however, and use 16" steel police wheels. A standard lincoln or crown vic rotor should fit your hubs fine, and clear the stock wheels.
If you are trying to keep factory 14" or 15" wheels, you should be able to find a factory disc brake car and just swap the spindles.
As far as the rears go, there are alot of options...alot of different places sell rear disc brake kits, assuming your car is a 9" axle.
I have heard of guys also retrofitting older stuff with Granada or even stronger/better 1972-up Torino spindles.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Since I really don't know the answer, maybe I shouldn't post, but here is my best guess. '70 to '71 is major changover for Mustang, but not for Fairlane Torino. Parts suppliers often have parts that cross model lines and Mustang being the dominant Ford model, Mustang years get referenced. That doen't help you find parts, but I will be stunned if something that fits a '71 Torino does not also fit a '70.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tim1859 on 5/26/06 10:24pm ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts