Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine are getting warped so I want to get them turned. I went to tearing down last night and see I need a large-ish deep socket to get the retaining nut off the spindle. It looks like 1 1/4". However because of the year would it be metric? Anybody have any experience with these years of Taurus/Sables and know what size it is? I'm going to have to borrow the socket from the local parts guy and I'd like to get the right one the first time. Thanks all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If it measures close to 1-1/4" than it's probably 32mm, It should be metric.

1/8" is equal to 3.175 mm

Should be able to get the right one by measuring it and doing a little coversion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unless a SHO is diferent than a normal Tortoise you dont need to remove the big nut to get the rotor off. I just slides over the studs after you take the caliper and caliper support off. The axle nut on most Tauruses is a 30mm just in case you do need to take it off. Make sure when you put it back together that you torque the wheel nuts properly in a cross pattern. That does make a difference on the Taurus as far as keeping the rotors from warping again.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Racerguy, you are correct! No need to take the nut off. I just had to break the rotors free and they slid right off. I took a second look last night and I saw where they should come apart. A few jabs with a small punch and hammer and viola. It's amazing what stepping back and thinking can do for a person.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts