Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I found an old thread and like I figured 4 bolts going down through, I can see the heads on the bolts in the back but cannot see the front bolts, do I have to take the chrome strip that holds the carpet off and slide it forward to see them? always good to talk to someone who has done it before and knows the easiest way. thanks in advance.

· Registered
412 Posts
I can't speak to all years, but typical mid-60s Ford seats have threaded studs, not bolts holding them in. There is a special skirted nut that should be accessible through the floor pan from under the car. There are rubber plugs meant to be in the access holes to the nuts. Usually a 1/2" socket is all you need to remove. A tip is to use some strip-caulk or similar to keep the nut on the socket once it's loose. If they drop, sometimes they get trapped in between the seat riser and the floor pan making them hard to retrieve. If the hole is big enough, you can also use a paper-towel tube to make sure the fall path is straight down. Also good to fold down the seatback to keep the weight of the seat from causing it to tip backward on loosening the front nuts.

Once the nuts are loosened, the seat should simply pull straight up through holes in the carpet...not a bad job.

· Registered
795 Posts
I can't speak to all years, but typical mid-60s Ford seats have threaded studs, not bolts holding them in. There is a special skirted nut that should be accessible through the floor pan from under the car. There are rubber plugs meant to be in the access holes to the nuts. Usually a 1/2" socket is all you need to remove. A tip is to use some strip-caulk or similar to keep the nut on the socket once it's loose. If they drop, sometimes they get trapped in between the seat riser and the floor pan making them hard to retrieve. If the hole is big enough, you can also use a paper-towel tube to make sure the fall path is straight down. Also good to fold down the seatback to keep the weight of the seat from causing it to tip backward on loosening the front nuts.

Once the nuts are loosened, the seat should simply pull straight up through holes in the carpet...not a bad job.
Any idea what size and length the studs would be on a '67 with bucket seats? I know mine has bolts that are threaded up from under the floor pan and I always thought it should be studs. Would love to replace them with the proper part if I knew where to find them.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK on my car the 2 front bolts come up through the floor, the 2 back ones go down through, the tip on moving the seat was the deal changer, thanks again its ready to go to the upholstery shop!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts