Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I have this posted on the Falcon Forum but thought I'd post here as well as this may have come up on other mid 60's Fords.)

I have not torn into this yet, thought I would post here to get some opinions.

My Futura has been up on stands at all four corners for about a week. Rear stands are under the axle housing, no problem. Front stands are under the frame rails which leaves the front suspension 'un-sprung' or just hanging.

Front shocks are Lakewood 90/10's. I just noticed tonight that the upper shock busings have begun to eat themselves. Passenger side has shredded the bushing about 3/4 of the way around, driver side about 10%. The bushings are being 'pulled' down through the mounting hole.

Dropped the car back onto the ground and removed the upper shock retaining nuts, washers and bushings. I noticed then that both shocks are pointing inwards to the point that the studs are actually rubbing the upper mount.

I don't recall this angle when I installed them a month or so ago, everything seemed to assemble just fine.

My first thought was to just go to a larger bushing and washer combo, but while that may correct the symptom I don't think it will address the problem.

My assumptions are 1) that the shocks have over extended themselves while hanging without support which tells me I am going to need to limit their travel, and 2) that the lower shock mounts / coil spring supports are somehow ganked and either need to be replaced or at least persuaded to a more flat position.

Has anyone run into this before? Have an opinion in general?

Murff

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I would remove the shocks and check to see if the upper shaft is still inline with the lower half. It may be the shocks are little shorter than OEM and may have been damaged by allowing them to hang fully extended.

I would replace the bushings with Energy Suspension polyurethane mounts and if the shocks fully extends before travel stop, maybe fashion a travel limiter to allow the control arms to expand only so far. This was in the shape of a steel cable on either upper or lower control arm in the olden days (suspension travel limiter). This also controls front end rise on launch to prevent lag time with those crowd pleasing wheel stands.

There is also a spring/shock mount that utilizes a bearing rather than a suspension bushing for less suspension bind and quicker weight transfer.

·
Registered
664 Posts
the shocks angle in/out as the suspension moves, its just the way that frontend style works. My mustang does it, I got kinda worried and set out to try to fix it, but general consensus was that its not a problem so I let it be.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Mine yanks the base off at least one of the front shocks about every 750 runs. Check the spring saddle and the spring, if the sring has stared to bow in to the tower, that will put a twist on the shock mount because the stocker spring mounts are all glued together. I'd consider burning the saddle pivot out and replacing the rubber with poly. All of ours are like that. That lets the saddle move freely. Grease the snot out of it if you do that. I imagine that your saddles are getting bound up and that's moving the shock around.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - More than I got from the Falcon Forum (I don't think they like the 'late model' Falcons much).

I had already stopped by the local speed shop and ordered the Energy Suspension bushings before reading these posts so I'm up on that. I have also started putting the jack stands under the lower control arm although I am not comfortable with the car up high with the stands in that location. I've always put front stands under the frame and never had a problem. Guess there's a first time for everything and it looks like I've just had one.

Next stop is the travel limiters. I believe Moroso / Comp Engineering still offer the cable style limiter.

Haven't even got the motor fired and I'm already having suspension problems. Sheesh. Also found last night that the center link is bumping my mini starter where the inner tie rod boss is. Orederd a new idler arm asm'y today. Will see if that will correct the distance, if not I guess I'll have to shim it to push the center link down an 1/8th or so.

Thanks again for the replies.

Murff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts