Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
FINALLY!!! in the end it was a BFH and a 12” bolt on top of the ball joint crown nut. POP! And it dropped. Thanks for all the help and pointers. Going to cut 1 coil and reinstall. Looking for about 2” and gonna do drop blocks in rear. Is sawzall gonna cut this fat ass spring or what?? Guess we’ll see ;-))
Congrats on getting it off.

Depends on what "kind" of sawzall blade you use, but personally I use a purpose made for cutting metal, cut-off wheel on a die grinder.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just tried sawzall with bimetal blade (not new) and it didn’t do anything, barely shined up surface. Gonna get a cut off wheel tomorrow and see what I can do with that. Thanks again for all the pointers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
good luck with the sawsall. die grinder will do it . dremmel will work, but really slow and lots of cuttoff wheels

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’m gonna take to a guys house with band saw... the passenger spring came out with 3-4 whacks of sledge... wish driver side was as easy. Measured springs and 1 loop from end is 1” of spring. I watched a video that showed this would give me the 2” I’m looking for??? Any thoughts that this is right or wrong?

·
Registered
530 Posts
The band saw probably won't cut it either... It's spring steel, very hard.
You REALLY need to use a cut off wheel or a torch, but NOT the torch, the heat will wreck the spring.

(You can use a torch if you know what you are doing, and know how to keep the spring cool,
and cut it fast enough so the spring does not absorb too much heat.... still risky)

One coil will "probably" give you the drop you are looking for... but it can vary a lot, depends on the car weight and spring tension.

I always do it by trial....

Cut half a coil and re-install and see where it sits, if not enough... do it again.
Pain in the ass to keep pulling the spring out over and over... but if you cut too much you can't put it back. :oops:
I did that once, cut too much on the first try... exactly once... never again. :mad:

Or you can go completely hillbilly bush league and leave the springs in the car,
sitting on it's wheels and use the torch to heat the springs so they sag.... hopefully to the height you want... :rolleyes:

.... and then cry :cry: because the springs continue to sag over the next few days, weeks, months.... and now need to replace them.

Same deal with cutting the spring and over heating it while cutting... the heat will cause it to continue to sag.... etc....

21 - 27 of 27 Posts