Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely have to ask questions about my Fords with all the FSMs but I ran into a question yesterday. I don't have a 67 Galaxie but a 67 Parklane and there are no big Merc forums. Yet since they are the same under the skin I figured the answer would be here.

I have had this car since 2003 and it is time to do a full rebuild of the front suspension. Reading the manual it seems to imply that a spring compressor (Ford would say use tool xxxx) is not needed and that lowering the lower control arm will enable you to tilt the spring out. Am I reading that right ? Or is a through the spring compressor actually needed?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi there,

It can be done.
Car on 4 jack-stands under the frame as high as possible.
Floor jack under the lip of the lower controle arm.
When the spindel is free, slowly lower the foor jack untill the LCA is at it's lowest.
There is still a little bit of tension, but the spring can be wresteled out.

Mel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there,

It can be done.
Car on 4 jack-stands under the frame as high as possible.
Floor jack under the lip of the lower controle arm.
When the spindel is free, slowly lower the foor jack untill the LCA is at it's lowest.
There is still a little bit of tension, but the spring can be wresteled out.

Mel

Will give it a go this Saturday...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that worked well on the first side leaving the other as is before moving over. When it comes to the bushings the LCA was the easiest in and out, the UCA easy out but harder to get in due to how to hold the thing, the idler arm was relatively easy out but what a bear to put in. Did this in a machine shop where I have the use of a very large vise and a 100,000 lb. press. Lessons learned for the next side.

Only disappointment is the fact that there are no front brake hoses for the 4 piston Kelsey anymore. Napa showed them to be discontinued out of their mid-80s catalogs. Still available for drums though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Only disappointment is the fact that there are no front brake hoses for the 4 piston Kelsey anymore. Napa showed them to be discontinued out of their mid-80s catalogs. Still available for drums though.
When I had the light duty WER axle in my '67 Galaxie I found that the flexible brake hose that mounted to the axle was no longer available. I contacted Nick at Brake Hoses Unlimited and he was able to make one for me that was identical to stock, with the exception of it being braided stainless. He sells a lot on ebay and what you can't find there he will make for you.

He currently has front brake hoses listed for a '67 Parklane with disc brakes, both early and later style. I don't know if it's what you're looking for but check out his listings.

Here's one : 1967 Parklane Front Brake Hose- Disc Brakes

·
Registered
31 Posts
When it comes to the bushings the LCA was the easiest in and out, the UCA easy out but harder to get in due to how to hold the thing[/QUOTE]
tbm3fan.. do you happen to have a pic of the bushings you put in?? I've got some that just don't look right to me compared to the ones I put in a few years back I'll try and post a picture of what I'm talking about let me know if they look anything like the ones you put in they're moog 8083 and 8082 I got them from Summit I also ordered some from O'Reilly's and they look the same when they came in.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi there,

Why is it so hard for some (we all went to elementary school, right?) to through in a period and a comma now and then?

Mel
Thanks, for pointing that out Nite-owl !!!
I understand reading things without the proper punctuation can be difficult for some people. So, do you have any useful info for my question? Or just a retired school teacher?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi there,

My bad. After 50 years of speaking, reading and writing in a different language, one's spelling skills tend to deteriate somewhat. Am retired, not as teacher.

With the exception of Great Britain, nobody over here has English as his native tongue (phew, got it spelled right!). So, if I, born North American, have to read a post 2 or 3 times, what about them?

Other than posting pictures, what was the question?

Mel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts