Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem on my 64 xl. When going around a Michigan turnaround, or a roundabout, I get a lot of front tire squeal. Is this something that a tow it stabilizer bar like from Greg Donahue will fix or is there other problems I should look at. Thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It sounds to me that there be one or more issues. I'd start out by looking at the tires for excessive wear in general or on the edges, center only etc. If the tires are showing problems they will be your road map to recovery. The tire pressure is also possibly low or incorrect. If the tires are new then I'd be looking at worn parts and alignment. Is it possible the tires are radial and the alignment is set up for bias ply? Or maybe your just going too fast thru the roundabout. This could be a case for a professional mechanic to check out as the front end needs to be correct alignment and the correct toe and caster camber settings. He can also check for excessive wear on the front end parts.

No the stabilizer bar only keeps the lower a-arms locked in position. Put that on at the time of any front end repairs as the alignment should be checked after installation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This^^^

Mine was a super squealer, and then I had it aligned and it quieted down 90% of it, unless I was just driving like a maniac.

Unfortunately, the front end was worn out, and the car came out of alignment not too long after...now it's noisy again

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and I had the Greg Donahue bar installed and new idler bushings and aliment and now it handles great...

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Someone has turned it into a front wheel drive while you weren't looking. It's losing traction.
I had to say it before someone else did. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts