Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading the front brakes to Master Power Brakes (MSP) disk brakes on my 1971 Torino. There were no bearing torques specs with the MSP brake kit, but the bearings were included. The manual (Detriot Iron) states 17 to 20 ft/lbs. Is this OK or should I use other specs? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
See Attached-

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Depending on year and hub type, the process is two or three-step. All steps are done turning the hub while torquing. Generic instructions by wheel bearing manufacturers (that are very similar to most OEM instructions) are as follows:

First step is heavy torque (17-25 ft/lb) to seat the bearings.

Second step option A (with nut retainer and cotter pin ONLY) is to back-off X-turn (usually 1/2-turn) and torque to 10-15 in/lb.
Note - that is INCH/pounds.
If lacking an in/lb torque wrench, turn finger-tight. Lock with nut retainer and cotter pin in that position.

Second step option B (with castellated nut and cotter pin ONLY) is to back-off to the next available alignment of the castle notch and cotter pin hole. Lock with cotter pin in that position. Note - always back off to the next castle notch. If a notch is aligned (or nearly aligned) at first torque, you must still back-off to the next notch to attain proper running clearance.

If there were three steps in the original instructions, it would be an even heavier first seating torque, such as 30 ft/lb. I would follow the factory instructions in the Ford Service Manual set for your specific vehicle whenever possible. There are other 'mechanic tricks' to do the job that may be good, but you know the original instructions are definitely good.

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, thanks for your help. This car has been a disaster, and I would pitch it if it were not a convertible. I am having to restore it from ground up. It seems whoever had the car before me went to the closest matching donor parts car and put those parts on it. I have had to rob parts from my other Torino to get this one correct and safe to drive. Which means now I have another restoration project waiting for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.