Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
65 Falcon Futura. All but one of the brake drums are frozen. I can not get the drum off of the right rear, and both fronts. The rear right just spins but drum wont wiggle off. As for the fronts, the drum wont come off of the hub. I was told they are to be taken off at the same time but I tried that as well and doesn't work. I have been attempting to get these brakes off for well over 4 months now and am at my wits end. The bfh isnt working either, and pb blast is useless as well. The brake adjuster under the rubber piece is seized and wont move either. Sooo...what the hell do I do? Take a torch to it and just cut the damn things off? Sounds like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
For the front wheels, remove the drum and hub together after removing the dust cap, cotter pin, and spindle nut. If it doesn't slide off after that, and the adjusters are froze like you say, cut the head off the brake shoe locating pin on the back of the backing plate. That should give things enough slack that the drum/hub can be pried off.

On the backs, if they are spinning the problem is in 2 areas. !. the shoes are hanging up on the ridge or rust and unworn metal at the back of the drum. 2. Corrosion between the axle flange and center and wheel stud holes in the drum. PB Blaster should have worked its magic there. If not, it might be time for a hub puller. Borrow one from Autozone.

I'm whispering this tip...shhhhhh...it's NOT an approved method...Sometimes you can get a sticky rear drum off by prying against the backing plate and drum with a big screw driver or bar while using your Chevy wrench (AKA BFH) with tiny dainty taps on the axle flange. It might break the rust loose and let the drum work free...shhhhhh remember, this is a secret...

·
Registered
340 Posts
For the rear, you made sure the parking brake is off right? Have you tried gently tapping the drum with a hammer around the edges? If that doesn't work for you, you might need to get or borrow a drum puller. It's like a big gear puller, with three hooks that grab the back edge of the drum, and a screw in the center that pushes against the hub.

On the fronts, the drums aren't supposed to come off of he hubs. The hubs are permanently attached to the drums. To take them off, remove the grease cap, remove the cotter pin, take off the castellated nut and pull the outer bearing. The drums should pull right off. If they don't, the brakes may have gone metal to metal, in which case the rivets holding the brake lining on may have cut grooves into the drum. You'll have to work the adjusters to pull the brakes away from the drum if that's what happened.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
On a Galaxie I read if you can get one rear drum off, reverse it and slide it over the lugs on the other side. Put the nuts on a few threads and pull on the drum, using it like a slide hammer. IIRC the frozen spot for me was right around the hub, though also the shoes.

Here is a pic showing where the lever is (on a Galaxie). With a flashlight you can see where to push it back off the wheel. Also shows the threads where the PB Blaster needs to be applied.

I also heard you can put a chisel through the hole and bust out the adjuster.

on edit: I'm thinking now the drum reversal idea won't work on the rears because the lugs are pressed into the axle flange, not the drum.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car has been sitting outside under a car port for 22 years. So I do think they have froze up. As for the adjuster wheel it wont go up or down on the front right.

·
Registered
340 Posts
On a Galaxie I read if you can get one rear drum off, reverse it and slide it over the lugs on the other side. Put the nuts on a few threads and pull on the drum, using it like a slide hammer. IIRC the frozen spot for me was right around the hub, though also the shoes.
It just hit me. This won't work on a falcon. The studs are on the axle, not the drum. Pulling on the axle won't get the drum off.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Yes, good catch dday. You need to use a rear drum as slide hammer on a front, won't work on the back. :frown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts