Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to tell you my recent "adventures" in adding some stuff to my old 700 Holley DP Carb....

It was always a mess with the Side-Plug Screws to Set the Fuel Level right.
So i thought it would be pretty smart to buy those little "Look through Platics Inserts" instead of the brass Screws and have a Look to my Fuel Level....

Worked Fine....for ONE Day, then the Plastic inserts fall of and were broken on Half way....so there was nothing but the Plastic threads left in the Fuel Bowl...the Piece with the O-Ring and Flat Plastic Disc(to watch inside) just fall onto the Intake Manifold....

I thought...ok maybe you have had a good breakfast and just tightened those little Plastic pieces TOO much....:mad:

i ordered another Set of those great working beasts....

2 Weeks later i got the small Package with the inserts from the U.S.A and made it all again, but now carefully....threaded them in, this time very soft and smooth...

Next Day...: ! WTF! it happened again...just cracked into Half....*grrmpf*:cry:

Next Step i ordered one of these: (chrome Bowls with integrated side glass windows)
Chrome Double Pump Holley Fuel Bowl Kit NEW | eBay

Today i put them in the car....was a hole day spending in changing the inserts cleaning the carb, give it new paint and setting the Fuel Level right etc.etc...

Finally everthing was fine, No Leakage, and Fuel Level was just in the Half of the Side Plug Windows....nearly Perferct...ok give it a start...BUT

Nothing...Engine won´t fire up.....! After searching for 10 minutes i had a look at the squirters of my DP....pushing the throttle...NOTHING !....*grrrr*

disassembled the whole thing again, and found out that the originial Holley Fuel Bowls had some sort of a Ball-Valve for the Pumps...so the fuel is pushed through the right channel in the metering block and not pushed back into the fuel bowl when "pumping"....the new ,very shiny , great looking side window Chrome things just have 3 little Holes to let fuel in the Pump....but NOTHING to block it when pushing the pump...so it just wents through the 3 holes back into the fuel bowls and NO Fuel is delivered into the Channels for the nozzles....*again GRRRRRRRRRR*

ok...lets build all again back to the good old holley bowls, set the fuel Level ONCE RIGHT, and i just came back from a test drive....everything works PERFECT....!

Just one good thing about this story....

Found an old piece of a crushed O-Ring blocking one of the Fuel rails to the Bowls, and blocking about 75% of the rail....so my problem for the recent heavy load starvation was found....and solved.
just removed the blocking thing. and now the fuel has a free way to enter the bowls....Car has NO starvation any more ! :bow:

Thanks for reading....:)

Regards
Mark

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
the new bowls need the umbrella looking valve for the pump. most of the time they are red/orange in color

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Dan,

I think i have found those Umbrella-Plugs in my recent purchased Holley Rebuild Kit...could not use them....but there were only 2 Umbrellas in this Set....(for 2 Bowls i guess)....
This small thing here....

Problem is that there are 3 Holes in EACH Bowl....does it mean that i have to use 6 Umbrella Plugs. ?! :confused:
or are they supposed to be pushed in the center one of the 3 holes....the "big" side INSIDE the Pump....so when pushing the Pump the Umbrella covers the other 2 Holes and Blocks the Fuel from going the "wrong" Way......?

Please give me some advise what to do...(some Pics if some has would be very helpfull....)

Thanks
Mark

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hi Dan,

I think i have found those Umbrella-Plugs in my recent purchased Holley Rebuild Kit...could not use them....but there were only 2 Umbrellas in this Set....(for 2 Bowls i guess)....
This small thing here....

Problem is that there are 3 Holes in EACH Bowl....does it mean that i have to use 6 Umbrella Plugs. ?! :confused:
or are they supposed to be pushed in the center one of the 3 holes....the "big" side INSIDE the Pump....so when pushing the Pump the Umbrella covers the other 2 Holes and Blocks the Fuel from going the "wrong" Way......?

Please give me some advise what to do...(some Pics if some has would be very helpfull....)

Thanks
Mark
the center hole is to install the valve . other two holes are for fuel inlet and block by valve so fuel is'nt return to bowl.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks....just installed the Plugs in the Bowls and now it makes sense....

Just have no Motivation, to start all over again and dissasemble all again....:mad:

But maybe when i have nothing else to do i will go and give it (again) a try....;)

Thank you for the Information but i wasn´t familiar to this type of sealing....the ball valve looks more "engineered and solid" to me....*lol*

Regards
Mark

·
Registered
251 Posts
A lot of people complain about setting the floats on Holleys, but I dont see what the big deal is. It is a 5 min. job if you take your time. I just pull the sight plug tuck a rag under the carb, adjust the screw until fuel comes out , stick the plug back in and set the lock nut. took me longer to type this than it would have to set floats.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The plastic plugs are not made to leave in permanently. The fuel will melt them.

I believe the Holley ones say that on the package.

They're made to put on, adjust the level, then take them off and put the screws back.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A lot of people complain about setting the floats on Holleys, but I dont see what the big deal is. It is a 5 min. job if you take your time. I just pull the sight plug tuck a rag under the carb, adjust the screw until fuel comes out , stick the plug back in and set the lock nut. took me longer to type this than it would have to set floats.

It doesn't take much of a "lumpy" cam before you'll get fuel being "tossed" out the hole even when the fuel level is low.

I find having the sight plug I can see it bouncing up and down; and in theory, the actual level is probably about the midpoint between the high and low level of each bounce. I adjust that point to be at the bottom of the sight plug.

For me and my combo it has made a huge difference in being able to get a decent adjustment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts