Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a summit fuel cell. i also bought a 11 gauge steel panel that i was going to bolt in place of the old tank and hand the cell from the plate. Unfortunately the tank hangs too low so i am considering putting the tank in the trunk. I also bought a 16 gauge steel sheet that i want to use to seal off the trunk from the interior of the car. its a fastback, so if i screw this in where the trap door used to be and use L brackets to screw it against the bottom, then will it pass tech? i also have the battery in the trunk.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here is a pic of the fuel cell I put in my 69. It's an 8 gallon (drag car), but you could fit a 12 or 16. I removed the stock tank and covered the hole in the trunk floor with a sheet of .040 aluminum.

The cell is supported all the way around by the straps. Bought the straps as a kit. The straps that go under the cell are welded in. The top/side pieces bolt so I could remove the cell if needed.

Made a U shaped cut in the sheet where the sump is so the sump could push it down enough to attach the fuel lines at the rear. Sort of skid plate over the sump, it's required by the NHRA/IHRA.

The fire wall is also made of .040 aluminum. Made a cardboard template and then cut it out with shears. Riveted in place, sealed with silicone.

The car has been back-halfed since that pic was taken. The cell is still mounted the same way, but the firewall has been replaced with a new one and wheel tubs.
Here is a pic from the underside showing the cutout to make a skid plate over the sump.

Some more pics are at:
http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=12943&groupid=26404&folderview=thumbs&ck=&userid=1&userpw=.&uh=1,0,&ver=3.0

Later,

David Cole

1 - 3 of 3 Posts