Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the set up for the fuel cell and pump mount that is being used on my 65.

Its all mounted in the trunk,the pump mounts to the fuel cell stand along with the filter.

I also have a cool fabbed up shifter stand and console in the works to mount the Hurst quarter stick and switches.

1995 F-350 XLT SuperCab DRW 460 EFI 2x4~~1991 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 1/24/02 1:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Real clean set-up Dyno Tom!

It looks great.

Did you mount the fuel cell directly to the mounting bracket or did you use a strip of rubber to insulate one from the other?

Just curious.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pump has round rubber isolator mounts,they are kind of hard to see in the pictures,but they are there.

I will put some more fab work pictures up when the work is done.

I have some direct copies of some T-Bolt tow hooks for the front end that mount with the bumper brackets.

I also have a neat looking fabbed up battery box,battery cut off switch and tons more cool stuff for the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had a Diehard for 3 years now (came with the car!) and It has been shorted out and melted the cables. Drained all the way to many times ( i was having an alt problem) and the thing still works great! I leave it sit in the car over the winter and in the spring it starts right up. Now that I have said this i bet it will not work anymore!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fx, the tow tabs I have here are exact copies of what the Thunderbolts had when they raced.

The were easy to make and look real neat.

They are designed to have a metal bar slide into them,and then the pull truck would pull it with straps.

Im not going to have the bar made,or ever use them for pulling the car but they look real "old school" on there anyways!

I will post some pics when I get them on the Falcon.

Greg, I agree Interstate is the best lead acid battery there is.

I used the Optima in the Falcon mostly because of the small amount of room I had to play with in the trunk.

The Optima was quite a bit smaller than the same Amp battery would be a in lead acid form.

It all came down to space,my trunk is full with a 16 gallon fuel cell,fuel pump and filter,Nitrous bottle,push pull battery disc. switch and battery.

I had to really place stuff correct to fit it all in there.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Looks real nice Tom. That carpeting you have it sitting on might look nice in the trunk and in car too
Are you competing against Greg Cook for the best looking show quality fast car and the fastest car?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I wouldnt call it a competition with me and Greg Cook,its more a matter of having the same ideas and likes in cars?

I love all the little details and things that set a car apart from the masses.

I will be running the stock style floor mat in the trunk.

Wait until you guys see the console shifter set up Im working on,its going to have switches built into it and look real cool!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 1/13/02 10:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey D.T. the fuel setup looks great.Looks like a lot of thought went into it.that pump looks like a gusher! I have a comp 250 from mallory and its noisey as hell I wonder if your Aeromotive is quieter?
Bob

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think of it in the same way!

I hope that pump is loud!

I love that "Mechanical Music" that comes from drag race cars!

Lopey rump-rump cams,singing fuel pumps,earth shaking idels and the smell of race fuel give me a feeling I cant quite explain?

Oh ya! throw in a purge of nitrous and Im ready for a cigarette!

Its all about the feel and mood of the high performance engine and cars,I wouldnt trade for anything!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey, you guys are absolutely right !!
Those sounds make my blood race.I love the smell of race gas and burning rubber,nothing else like it!
Man I hate winter!!!!
Bob

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NEW PARTS ARE HERE! NEW PARTS ARE HERE!...........Im somebody now!.....Things are gonna start happening to me now!

Here is the latest UPS delivery that came today from Jegs.

The UPS guy is a car freak and he loves to stand around talking about cars when he drops stuff off at my house!

I keep him up to date with the Falcon and sometimes I show him the car in the garage while he is here.

Here all the gauges that will keep tabs on the 408 Winsor in the Falcon "White Lightning" project.
Also pictured the new Hurst 1/4 stick shifter with aluminum cover and botton knob switch to activate the NOS sportsman fogger nitrous system.
Lots more parts on the way!

//communities.msn.ca/_Secure/0TADyAQUbn!!o*Q5ALVOQJxxAEYngXuByA!g6dfiNKe*rcHXzmy!mkKf9V5yZcuDoQjNtwCos8RlVDPE6U0UWr7kroROCZZHBjF3H8LvaYHf6y3XUYmb5bg/Picture-012.jpg

//communities.msn.ca/_Secure/0TAAAAAYb3e!o*Q5ALVOQJ1JlG6eeNNhsn4kzKsrqUsOBnWd!AnvyHO1InG545ZIT1WWqvjVtDSiSoaK*F7bMnDz*Tu*hIFbYM1C1v6cNOhu3JsMTHPM8Aw/Picture-013.jpg

//communities.msn.ca/_Secure/0TAB0cAcbG*Co*Q5ALVOQJx7W23!yN9klcjUQY8ew9wE9RD82ACWngXZUKuhVeXDj7nKfea5KzC7lMZig7oj4GOkToLcdbeo900ita5QjbbKj6hL4AQoxJQ/Picture-014.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 1/24/02 1:25am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Ya gotta love it, Tom! Just like xmas every time new parts get delivered!
(I'm gonna have to upgrade my gauges just so I look as cool as you!!!)
Stuff looks super!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes Drag79, I love opening up the boxes from Jegs and Summit!

Im going to concentrate right now on the chassis and cars set up.

Im not going to buy any engine stuff for at least a month or so.

I figure it would be best to get all the chassis set up first anyway becuase the engine parts for small block fords change almost daily!

I know the car will be a 408-W with nitrous and a C-4 auto.

I got plenty of work to do on it,chassis and interior should be done in about a month.

Then I will start with the powertrain.

Ill keep you posted!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got the new seat covers back from the upolstery guy.

I had some of the RCI ones that I bought with the seats,but when we added more foam cushion to the seats the RCI covers didnt fit anymore.

So,I had some custom ones made that make the seats real comfortable now!

They were custom made from leather by my friend Mike.

He was the main interior guy at Excalibur Auto when we worked there together.

They are close to the same pattern as the RCI covers were,but now they fit nice with all the extra padding added and there made of leather instead of the vinyl.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update of White Lightning 408-W 65 Falcon Sprint.

Well this morning I took the car to the fab shop for more work.

I had to be at the shop at 10:30 am. so I had some extra time to stop for breakfast at a little cafe down the road from me.

I had the car on the trailer outside the cafe,and within about 5 minutes I had 6 guys checking it out!

I didnt know any of the guys,but they seemed pretty cool?

One just moved here from Texas and has a 60 Ranchero he is fixing up.

He was asking me about the rear tires size and suspension work on my car.

I told him the set-up and gave him some local places that do good work.

The other guys were really into the Falcon,it was a great feeling to have such attention given to my car!

I then had to go inside and eat breakfast,and about 45 minutes later they were still there checking the car out!

I was thinking "these dudes are crazy",its only 20* outside today!

Well,the one guy asked if I was selling it and if it was a real Sprint?

I told him it is 1 of 3106 Sprints built in 1965 and Im not selling it.

I think its kinda cool sometimes how a old car can attract "car guys" when ever they see one?

Ok, I left about 20 minutes later headed for the fab shop.

I got there unloaded the car onto roller dollies,and rolled it into the workspace.

We talked about some more fab work thats getting done like adding a X-brace to the rollcage and also some tubes through the firewall onto the towers to stiffen them up.

He is also mounting the gauges in a custom panel that will go into the stock instrument cluster location and making a cool little console for the shifter with switches built into it.

We are right in the middle of figuring out the door panels for the car,I think either fabbed up aluminum or factory panels worked in with some fab work to take place of where the rear seat used to be?

I have pictures of all the new work getting done,and Ill post them soon.

I have to drop off by him a 351-W mocked up long block with a C-4 mock up trans hooked to it in order for him to figure out the room he has to play with under the hood.

Its going to be a good deal of time before its done,but one step at a time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts