Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 64-1/2 260 V8 which was restored down south, however now I replaced both sending unit in gas tank and fuel gauge in dash and it still does not work. I grounded out the sending unit wire to the frame and the gauge needle moved to full, so I know the gauge is working.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated as I am not mechanically inclined and the only person who could have helped me, my brother in law Danny passed away a few years ago.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have a 64-1/2 260 V8 which was restored down south, however now I replaced both sending unit in gas tank and fuel gauge in dash and it still does not work. I grounded out the sending unit wire to the frame and the gauge needle moved to full, so I know the gauge is working.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated as I am not mechanically inclined and the only person who could have helped me, my brother in law Danny passed away a few years ago.
Either a bad sending unit, or the sending unit isn't getting a good ground. The stock units get their ground through the tank, and the tank from the trunk floor. To test whether it's the unit or a bad ground, run a wire from one of the sending unit mount screws(make sure it's clean) to a known good ground. If the gauge works, it's a ground issue. If it doesn't, it's the sending unit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The temp & gas guages both work off of a constant voltage regulator on the rear of the dash unit. it( the voltage regulator) has to be grounded also to work correctly. It cuts the 12 volts down to about 3-5 volts to those two guages. you can get one at an auto parts store. If you have a wiring diagram then you will see it wired inline to both guages. Hope this helps. I just did all of the things you have done & this is what finally fixed it. If you have the sending unit grounded & the guage swings to full then the wire from tank to guage is ok. & the guage is also working, all it would need to be correct is the dash guage voltage regulator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts