Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, finally got around to doing the fuel gauge sending unit on my '64.

Good thing I bought a new float, b/c the one in there was rusted in half and not attached to the sending unit arm. Had to fish it out with a coat hanger.

Anyway...

Before putting it back in, I figured I'd check the resistance on the unit, so I don't have to take a second gas bath if it's no good.

...and it's measuring all weird. Per my last thread on this, it resistance should decrease as the tank gets more full.

I get:
Empty: 74 ohm
stead drop to about 1/2 of the swing of the arm
Half: 26 ohm

Between half and the top of the arm's travel, it kinda jumps around between 45 55 and 65, with no real correlation to position.

Is there something I'm missing?

Like, does the thing have to be immersed in gas to work properly?
Does it only use 1/2 of the swing of the sending unit when it's actually installed?
Does the weird AC 4-8V signal that it gets somehow cancel this out?

The whole sending unit was pretty rusty, so I've got reason to believe the sliding resistor in the sender is probably corroded. At this point, I'm thinking I should pop the side cover off and see if I can clean it up?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FE: you're my hero.

Seriously, dude. Between this and my Country Sedan's perpetually hot 390, or whatever other ridiculousness I get myself into, regardless of day or time, you're there with a useful answer.

Come through LA and I owe you a beer (or other beverage of your choice).

Ok, I'll fiddle around with it tonight. It'll be nice to know how much gas I've actually got.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I've got an almost new fuel sending unit that I'd let go real cheap, like $10 + shipping if you're in need of one. I live in East Whittier so you could even pick it up if that works for you.

I have a fuel cell now so I don't need it anymore. I took it out before trashing the old tank. It was only in the car for a few months. Let me know if you're interested.

John

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got an almost new fuel sending unit that I'd let go real cheap, like $10 + shipping if you're in need of one. I live in East Whittier so you could even pick it up if that works for you.
John
Thanks, but repair's done now (gauge seems to work fine), but let me know if you're planning on pitching it and I'll pick it up as a spare or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
im intrested in the sending unit. My parents live in La Purnte i can send someone down to pick it up or my friend has a shop off painter and whitter u can drop it off there let me know. And is it a factory replacement or ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts