Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone knows the working resistances of a 1965 Galaxie fuel sending unit? like is it 10-73 ohm empty to full?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
yep... 10-73

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
When you ground the sender (0 ohms resistance) the needle should go to full. Well, actually a little past.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
like is it 10-73 ohm empty to full?
Backwards. 73 empty and 10 full. Putts said grounding will peg the gauge, and that's true as it is zero resistance. So, to remember, the less resistance you have (more electrical power flowing) the more the needle will swing, and the higher the gauge will read. Therefore at 10 ohms it reads high (full). With greater resistance (less electrical power flow), the needle won't swing as far, and the gauge will read less. At 73 ohms it should read empty. HTH

David

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is on my 65 Galaxie.

well here is what i'm doing. I bought a Summit Racing digital instument kit, it has a fuel guage in it that is selectable for that range. However I'm having a issue because it requires only 1 wire to connect it up. so i'm wondering. on the back of the original sender there are 2 wires, one is yellow/ white, and one is Black/ green. do i just hook it up to the Yellow/ White and leave the other end alone? or do i need to do something with the black/ green. which i'm seeing goes in line with a electronic regulator. a constant voltage regulator. any thoughts?
I removed the Speedo and the original fuel guage and installed this kit. it has a dark smoke lexan face and looks like it was made for the car.

Here is what it looks like, with the power off and then on..

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I like that, looks really nice. How does it illuminate in the bright sun light?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
havent had it in bright sunlight yet, but the display is very bright. and dims when the lights come on. it also has a high beam indicator as well as left and right sequential turn signal indicators. .

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would bet that the black prong must be grounded if you have a one wire gague as it uses the body for ground instead of a back wire to the gague!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havent tested it fully, the manual says it dims 50% when you turn on the head lights, as far as being adjustable, I don't know yet. i'll try to find out tomorrow. i know the picture with it on is inside the garage and it was dark inside the car, i'll try a lights on and lights off picture for ya all.

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
I would bet that the black prong must be grounded if you have a one wire gague as it uses the body for ground instead of a back wire to the gague!!

Yeah, the volts come from the gauge through the yellow-white wire into the sender. Then out of the sender on the black wire, to ground somewhere on the frame. As the sender arm drops, it allows more electricity to flow through it to the ground. The gauge is what measures that additional electricity flow.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well got the guages all hooked up and working. here is a short clip, sorry it's a little shaky, but it was only 25 degrees outside when i took it. MOV03115 - YouTube

The sequential light is connected to the turn signals, can see the display dim when the lights come on, and see the high beam indicator. the display is not adjustable beyond the 50% dim with lights. I cant show ya the other features of it because of the snow on the road and salt, the car will be parked prolly another month inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts