Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a carb guy. I know nothing about fuel injection, so bare with me.
My daily driver(87 Cherokee)has been giving me trouble starting whenever it's warm. No problem when its cold, but when its warmed up or warm outside- foget it. I took it to the dealer to have it checked out and they tell me 4 out of the 6 injectors are leaking. They want $768 to replace all 6. I checked my manual and it does not seem that difficult to do myself.

Does that seem likely to be my problem? Again, I know nothing about fuel injection. I just know how good dealers are at wanting to do major work for major bucks. I'll do it myself to save money but do you think leaky injectors cause hard-start problem? What also makes me wonder is that it accelerates and cruises great, just doesn't start. Thanks for any help. Steve.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 63fstbk on 1/31/02 5:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sounds right to me. Just like if you have a leaking carb. when you shut of your engine and let it sit, you get hard starting problems. The same goes for FI. Your right it's not hard to change them, just make sure that all the fuel pressure is out of the line first, and lube up the "O" rings on the new injectors with some grease or patroleum jelly before installation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coupe3w on 1/31/02 6:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
660 Posts
You can take your injectors to most machine shops or autoparts stores and have them cleaned/checked for about $25 each. Usually they'll even give you new gaskets too.

Shouldn't be that hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts