Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edelbrock 1406 on a 390.
Edelbrock says fuel pressure
Should be no more than 5.50 psi
Car runs rich.. installed regulator
Made a Stainless bracket....
fuel is boiling. This regulator is non return line type....This restriction (fuel reg) ...is creating a pump churn... so fuel moving too slow it gets hot... do I actually need to run a line to the tank...
Remove tank.... install a bung in tank.... just to reduce fuel pressure from 7 to 5.50 or so.....
Edelbrock makes these carbs for old school applications.....
But cannot handle 7 psi....
Fuel passes rite past needles when closed....causing a flooding type problem....I need cool fuel...temp & 5.50 psi..I hate to try another regulator (without return)
And boil gasoline again...WTF
Let’s hear the fixes Thanks Pat

·
Subscriber
515 Posts
so you're saying the fuel pressure regulator didn't get you down to 5.5psi?
extech has a point - just go to the source (the pump).

but I wouldn't blame boiling fuel on the pressure regulator. that just sounds like heat soak.
are you running an insulated carb spacer? if not...may want to think about it, after you get the pressure problem fixed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carb heat shield is laying on the table . Trying to get fuel in line first. Pump mounted to block probably heats fuel... then you have ambient temperature adding to problem. I was wondering if
Electric pumps (when churning ) stay cool... thinking of getting a electric pump that churns @ about 5or6 psi... solving psi issues. And not mounted to the engine...... would keep fuel cooler. Do these elec pumps run all day? I know on modern fuel injection systems,you hear it pump up fuel rail,and stop...
Thanks Pat

·
Registered
453 Posts
injection p umps don't stop. they run as long as the engine does. the little thumper pumps stop when they reach they'r set pressure, but they are noisey

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got to find a good pump... that churns at around 5psi. Most pumps I looked at on eBay were 4-7 psi.. I’d like to find one that puts out 5psi... then I can avoid a regulator. Thanks Pat

·
Subscriber
515 Posts
i'm not up on electric pumps, I guess. don't know what "churn" is. but any mechanical pump built for a 390 should be putting out about 5psi. Edelbrock isn't special - all carbs are built to handle about the same psi. go spend $40 on a new mechanical pump, put that carb spacer on, and drive it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Churn is max pressure pump puts out. When dead headed.
When floats are down... pump pressure can go down.as carb is filling up . When needles are shut pump is churning (fuel not going anywhere)

·
Registered
453 Posts
mechanical pumps don't do that. the diafragm just stops moving. the pressure is based on the spring that pushes the diafragm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts